US Draft: What's happening?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by army_of_1, Mar 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There have been rumours of a US draft for 2005 flying for a while now. I couldn't find a decent news article on it so I haven't bothered posting a link. What's the latest news from the US of A about this or was it just rumours and a few mutterings in Congress? If anyone can find a decent news article please post it. Comments, anyone.

2. http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/draft.asp

In two words, probably not

3. There are no plans for a draft. The only draft bill in Congress was a democrat bill and was defeated before the election - only 2 dem's voted for it [only 2 votes the bill got].

4. We've heard nothing about re-instating the Draft.

CNN has an article on recruiting and retention:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/06/military.recruiting.reut/index.html

I've seen two camps of opinions here: Those of us who served amongst conscripts don't want them; and more recent Soldiers who think it would be a great social equalizer.

5. Actually the only people that want a draft is the anti-war crowd.

6. as far as i know , the draft is still on the law books in USA

7. Yes it is.

8. It will take an act of Congress to actually begin the draft. The Selective Service registers all males when they turn 18. The local draft boards are on standby. Everything is ready - should the decision ever be made.

9. i bet T Bliar is watching to see how bush gets away with it, before trying it himself

10. Not going to happen (Unless Bush decided to invade another 2 countires) We have enough reserves left as well as the Inactive Ready Reserve. It will suck to be a reservist for a while but we have the bodies to get the job done. No need for a draft.............yet.