US Diplomats Reluctant to Serve in Iraq

"I always thought diplomats went where they were b@@dy well told to go. Not particularly good PR for the Ferrero Roche set. "

Nope, you volunteer for postings considered particularly hazardous in nature. All applicants for Afghan and Iraq in the FCO are volunteers, but in the FCO's case, the number of applicants is 6 times greater than the number of vacancies.

I think it shows that the US has strong leaders willing to stand behind declarations of victory and stability in Iraq.

ghost_us said:
I think it shows that the US has strong leaders willing to stand behind declarations of victory and stability in Iraq.
What's a "declaration of victory and stability in Iraq"? Is it the same as "a barefaced lie spoken by a venal politican in lethal denial and not facing re-election?"

'Nope, you volunteer for postings considered particularly hazardous in nature. All applicants for Afghan and Iraq in the FCO are volunteers, but in the FCO's case, the number of applicants is 6 times greater than the number of vacancies.'

Must be that new pool in Kabul!

annakey said:
ghost_us said:
What's a "declaration of victory and stability in Iraq"? Is it the same as "a barefaced lie spoken by a venal politican in lethal denial and not facing re-election?"
Ah, but are diplomats not politicians? Perhaps you missed the sarcasm I was portraying.

:)

ghost_us said:
annakey said:
ghost_us said:
Ah, but are diplomats not politicians? Perhaps you missed the sarcasm I was portraying.

:)
Woops. Sorry! :oops:

LEGZ30 said:
This one has made himself particularly unpopular with some of the US Mil for his attitude here

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1ac_1193907538&p=1
Well, you can see why. Should the grunts listen to Jack Croddy, and follow his argument through to it's logical conclusion, the old Vietnam war Canada run will receive some modern usage.

LEGZ30 said:
This one has made himself particularly unpopular with some of the US Mil for his attitude here

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1ac_1193907538&p=1

Feckin weasals. Who's taking care of the soldiers kids? They didn't have any choice either.

It's your job, you don't like it, go work at Burger King or shut yer gob, suck it up and drive on.

I have no patience with these sort of people.

One 9mm through each foot I think there.

The Green Zone is probably safer than some parts of Washington DC.

Gas Gas Gas said:
Plus they've got Blackwater to look after them, who'll spray anything that moves, can't be prosecuted and shout "CLEAR!" when taking the top off their breakfast egg.

Why do they run about shouting CLEAR!

annakey said:
Gas Gas Gas said:
Plus they've got Blackwater to look after them, who'll spray anything that moves, can't be prosecuted and shout "CLEAR!" when taking the top off their breakfast egg.

Why do they run about shouting CLEAR!
Only until next year from what I understand. They are supposedly losing their Iraq contract. Bummer... no more über sounds of awesomeness.

"Must be that new pool in Kabul!"

The pool put funds into the local economy and is a small R&R thing - don't forget the embassy staff spend 2 years in Kabul - I don't have a problem with the FCO using its funds to try and do something to make life a little more pleasant - both this pool and the one in Basra Palace were also fully open to military personnel, so its not like you're not allowed to use it.

As for the comments about the green zone - until recently I would have agreed with you, however having recently been exposed to what the FCO and State do in much more depth, I was very surprised by the nature of their duties and the amount of time spent 'on the ground' beyond the wire- far more than many of us realise, and possibly far greater than many personnel based at Bastion or BAS.

jim30 said:
"Must be that new pool in Kabul!"

The pool put funds into the local economy and is a small R&R thing - don't forget the embassy staff spend 2 years in Kabul - I don't have a problem with the FCO using its funds to try and do something to make life a little more pleasant - both this pool and the one in Basra Palace were also fully open to military personnel, so its not like you're not allowed to use it.

As for the comments about the green zone - until recently I would have agreed with you, however having recently been exposed to what the FCO and State do in much more depth, I was very surprised by the nature of their duties and the amount of time spent 'on the ground' beyond the wire- far more than many of us realise, and possibly far greater than many personnel based at Bastion or BAS.

Understood, it will not be a cakewalk job. However, why is a diplomats child somehow more important than that of your run of the mill infantry unit soldier?

They aren't being expected to protect themselves and will have a fairly large amount of security associated with them. I understand that a diplomat may be a hvt however.

I just have a really hard time being sympathetic with these pretentious whining politicians.