US Diplomats Reluctant to Serve in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gas Gas Gas, Nov 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "I always thought diplomats went where they were b@@dy well told to go. Not particularly good PR for the Ferrero Roche set. "

Nope, you volunteer for postings considered particularly hazardous in nature. All applicants for Afghan and Iraq in the FCO are volunteers, but in the FCO's case, the number of applicants is 6 times greater than the number of vacancies.

2. I think it shows that the US has strong leaders willing to stand behind declarations of victory and stability in Iraq.

3. I was struck by the very junior status of many of the civil service staff out there - perhaps the old and bold had more sense.

4. What's a "declaration of victory and stability in Iraq"? Is it the same as "a barefaced lie spoken by a venal politican in lethal denial and not facing re-election?"

5. 'Nope, you volunteer for postings considered particularly hazardous in nature. All applicants for Afghan and Iraq in the FCO are volunteers, but in the FCO's case, the number of applicants is 6 times greater than the number of vacancies.'

Must be that new pool in Kabul!

6. Ah, but are diplomats not politicians? Perhaps you missed the sarcasm I was portraying.

:)

7. Woops. Sorry! :oops:

Well, you can see why. Should the grunts listen to Jack Croddy, and follow his argument through to it's logical conclusion, the old Vietnam war Canada run will receive some modern usage.

8. Feckin weasals. Who's taking care of the soldiers kids? They didn't have any choice either.

It's your job, you don't like it, go work at Burger King or shut yer gob, suck it up and drive on.

I have no patience with these sort of people.

9. One 9mm through each foot I think there.

10. Anyway, I thought they're relatively safe in the Green Zone.

11. The Green Zone is probably safer than some parts of Washington DC.

12. Plus they've got Blackwater to look after them, who'll spray anything that moves, can't be prosecuted and shout "CLEAR!" when taking the top off their breakfast egg.

Why do they run about shouting CLEAR!

13. CLEAR!