US developing self-steering laser-guided bullets

thats going ot be one really fckn expensive bullet, they were better off researching those mini missiles launched off a crossbow type device, even so given that type of munition there will be something really simple that will mess it up, like sunlight.......i doubt it we would see anything like this enter mainstream for a good few years if the project dosent get scrapped over spiralling costs and techincal dificuties like poor manufacturing techniques..... as they say in the article its not like they havent tried this before

Like javelin on a smaller scale. Now they can have blue on blue with 100% fatalities.

.....they don't say that much about the requirement for someone to actually hold the target in the laser beam while the round flies - so its still no more accurate than the bloke holding the designator. Getting the design of that right - stabilised etc - is the other half of the engineering problem.

It's not that clever really, especially as the tech is in a 100mm projectile

I'm much more impressed by HVM which has 3 sub projectiles of which two are always guaranteed to hit an aircraft when launched successfully. The Gyroscopes in the sub projectiles are minute and this is the key to steerable projectiles.

Even Javelin ATGM is not as clever as it seems, just a natural progression in Guided Weapons system capability.

Amazing technology that no army can afford to mass produce in the world climate?!? Surely these scientists have better things to do, like watch loose women?!

about half a thumb by the look of it!

i would guess it's probbaly intended as a sub-calibre rod for something like a 25-30mm cannon.

An ex-soldier I met on a train told me about this...

If the thing has an optical sensor in the nose, then it's not a full metal jacket, i.e. it's illegal for military use even before they're finished, he says kicking the white phos grenade back under the bed.

With the cost of these bullets every soldier will have a training allowance of 0.75 rounds per year to pass their APWT with.
But if you fail, the manufacturer is to blame and not your hangover! In fact you could send your rifle to the ranges and stay in bed!

Looking at the flight path of the shot they traced, does anyone else wonder why the piece of crap was waving around so much? Personally I think advances in stabilisation or aiming assistance would be far more suitable than a 'self-steering' bullet.

On another note, perhaps I overlooked this in the article, but who is aiming the laser which the bullet follows? Surely all we are doing is shifting the aiming responsibility from the man firing the gun to the man aiming the laser? The applications for use as a long-distance sniper round could be quite impressive though, if the bullet could automatically adjust for bullet-drop, wind etc.

It really does seem like a lot of investment on something which isn't as much of a solution as its creators expect it to be - If this was to make it in to production as a general ground munition, what will they try replace next? putting soldiers on all-terrain segways so that they don't have to get their stamina up?

What happens if the round starts to tumble during flight, unless it can self right its self