US Developing Robo-Soldier

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by in_the_cheapseats, Apr 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

This is just extraordinary. Although the story says they are 8 years of deploying this kind of tech, even the development of the exo-skeleton to this stage blows my mind.

See a BBC video article about it Here

I want one! 8O

2. The air lock in Alien springs to mind. Can mine come with a mini gun and an M19?

3. Or the double-gatling versions in Matrix...

4. Surely they should be a bit more:

[​IMG]

5. Not least because one of the times you see the exo-skeleton in Aliens it is loading missiles onto the drop-ship. One of the activities shown here.

I notice that the difference between the 'with' and 'without' pulldowns is that 'with' he is considerably heavier and doesnt lift off the ground. Sand and other soft terrain might prove to be a problem even if they can produce an on board power supply and address the other technical issues they still have. That said I could see it being useful in allowing machine power to be brought into exisiting situations that previously only humans could access without having to modify that environment (buildings, large vehicles and ships) too much. Exo-skeletoned Breach Creatures anyone?

6. Just think how many AA batteries you would get through!

These things are a bit closer and frankly creepy. OK they could set to wobble from point A to point B with a load and be quite useful

But kit them out with something nasty, set them to patrol a given area and they will do just that, never moan nor demand an egg banjo.

http://www.bostondynamics.com/content/sec.php?section=BigDog

7. Nice bit of kit until a Tom comes up behind him and pisses on his leg and shorts the whole bloody thing out.