Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Defense Cuts

I think it is a fundamental difference when considering the overall US "government benefits" system but silly me I hAppen to look at military service a bit differently I suppose.

And therein lies your problem. You think you're special.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
The CIA World Factbook puts the US as the world's 19th biggest spender on defence, although it's chosen to use % of GDP compared via exchange rates and not the usual PPP. That's inevitably going to skew things even before the fact that the figures are for a variety of years rather than one consistent one.

I also find it strange that an organ of the US government specifically devoted to collecting information only has figures from its own nation's expenditure for 2010. Maybe I shouldn't, given their track record.

percentage of gdp is clever way of avoiding the fact that they spend more than the next 20 countries on the list - or something as daft as that.

I thought that's how every country's defence spending was quantified - ours being about 2.1%

It can be but that usually isn't a good grounds for comparing defence capability. If you look at the CIA's list, the top spender by %GDP is Oman. Much as I think the world of the country, it's not even one of the first rank regional players let alone a global one as No.1 slot might lead you to believe.

Latest Threads