US Contractors to Build New US Embassy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by uncle_vanya, Nov 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Mail on Sunday' 9 November '09

British firms have been banned from bidding for the £275million contract to build the new US Embassy in London.
    The American mission is moving from its long-time home in Grosvenor Square in Central London to a new purpose-built secure compound close to the headquarters of MI6 in Vauxhall.
    But tender documents released by the US State Department last week make it clear British firms will not be allowed to oversee the project.
    The papers reveal.

This should not be a surprise, after all, more State Secrets and confidential data has been lost and carelessly handled under New Lieb-bore in the past 10 - 11 years than before. It appears that there is an endemic problem with Government, Civil Service and Civilian Contractors to be extremely careless round these matters.

Then we have government departments like the DVLA selling personal data to any Thom, Abdul, Dickie-Dickie, Harriet or Uncle Tom Cobblers and all!! Its hardly wonder that the US State Department probably don't trust the UK Government or any Civilian contractors to get things right.

The UK citizens themselves don't even trust our wunderful Neues Lie-bore government to handle these matters in an honest, secure and way. So why should the American State Department.

Our Government will probably sell off Identity Card personal data along with Medical Records to the highest bidder in due time. There is more than something Rotten in the Land - it stinketh mightily and Pa Broone will do nothing about this except gobble off the usual cr@p!!

Pa Broone's politcal underpants are burning mightily and are full of Neues Lie-bore crap!! :p :p :)

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I suspect that they will seek some form of exemption from EU laws over this, I am reasonably sure that competitive tendering on an open basis (you can be clever and make bids non qualifying by dint of national security concerns) for all contracts over £100k.
    Still the yanks will stuff it up completely on their own just look at Bechtel if you want an example of how not to manage a project for the client!

3. Given that the land that an embassy is built on is considered foreign soil, the law that the US has to deal with is pretty much their own.

I'm sure that a motivation in using labour/companies that they control/vet is what happened with the Mosocow embassy - so full of bugs it had to be torn down before it was ever used.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I suspect that the move of the Embassy has more to do with the fact that tthe current one is on leased ground, Duke of Westminster, who wont sell them a freehold and its the only one in the world that they dont own the land freehold forever!
    Rumour has it that the DoW receives reps every year who ask to purchase the freehold who are then told that only when Manhatten is restored to his family!
    That said this is a rumour service after all!

5. The US Embassy is moving from Grosvenor Square ( Mayfair ) to Nine Elms ( Deep South )

From a security POV, it is eminently sensible for a new embassy to have US oversight, afterall, the amount of listening devices planted in the new US Embassy in Moscow was prodigious.

The US Govt will save a lot of money in moving to Nine Elms. The money saved could pay for a LOT of security guards for an area that the personnel will find to be nowhere near as nice as where they work now.....

6. Considering that under the Vienna Convention the host country provides for the protection of the outside of foreign embassies (I paraphrase, but) it seems that we will be picking up the tab for any extra security needed around the new embassy.

This is probably the Yanks trying to avoid a diplomatic incident with Boris Johnson and his attempts to make them pay the congestion charge.

Ish.

7. I think it is perfectly acceptable for any country to use it's own nations contractors to carry out any necessary work in its embassy. I think they also have diplomatic protection ? Though uncertain.

The Spams are big enough, rich enough and definitely ugly enough to not have to give a damn about what the rest of the world thinks (How I envy them for that.).

As for the Duke of Westminster's freehold ... Good Drills ! How many more prossies can be hired for his "entertainments" now ?

8. I would imagine that the number of Eastern Bloc contractors who'd be involved with building the embassy would be enough to give the department in charge of vetting them a collective heart attack.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Lets face it not being messed around by US project managers like bechtel is enough reason not to bid for the work!

10. Wasn't there a spin off programme from "Auf Weidersein Pet" when those crazy guys went to buld the new British Embassy in Cuba?

11. Hello,

I think foreign embassies may be technically foreign territory so European Union rules may not apply.

tangosix.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not until they are built! However there are enough loopholes in EU law provided you are willing to argue!