US Congress Voting on Financial Bail Out

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Virgil, Sep 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here in the US it's playing live on TV in the House of Representatives at the moment concerning the $700b bail out. The bill must first pass the House (435 members) and then go to the Senate (100 members) for a vote.

The votes are 207 Yea-support/226 Nay-against at the moment [11:05 AM Pacific Time/UTC/GMT -7 hours]

They've freezed the vote as party leaders are trying to convince Nays to change their vote.
  2. What would that mean for the average man if they didnt let it happen?
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Want a pension that is worth anything? Ain't going to have one .......
  4. Oh i get it, nice one.
  5. It could be very bad or who knows.

The bill has officially failed as of two minutes ago (11:11 PST).

It's now being re-configured and will be put back up for a vote while party leaders twist arms on both sides.

I hate interesting times.
  6. in_the_cheapseats

What was the vote count?

If this isn't overturned, all I can see is the markets going S in a major way. The 5% of today is but a taste of what will happen tomorrow
  7. 207 Yea-support/226 Nay-against

The arm twisting has apparently begun. Party leaders on both sides are trying to get their members onboard.

There may be some changes in the bill as per discussion being heard. Not sure what.
  8. Can only hope this is a protest vote so those who voted against it can say they did but were later forced to vote for.
  9. in_the_cheapseats

More like some sort of horse trading for favours in future events. I f******* hate politicians :evil:
  10. I was bitching to a friend a few weeks ago about not getting my once-every-two-years adrenalin dose from the Euro/World Cup via England. I hate this...
  11. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Holy Sh*t. We're doomed.
  12. The bill is scheduled to be voted on again by Thursday. The solution is right there and ignored; these idiots hold the fate of millions in the world in their hands.

F' me.
  13. I think it was the US political philosopher (and humourist) P.J. O'Rourke who one proposed throwing out the entire membership of congress and replacing the members with the first 435 hookers and pimps the DC Police could find on the streets of Washington. O'Rourke said you would have a legislature with a better understanding of the value of the dollar and with better moral values.

Maybe O'Rourke was right.
  14. The bill was shit and only half as much better then the crap they cobbled together last week and the smug dems pronounced they had a tenative deal on. It didn't help that loud mouth Nancy; 1) couldn't get her own party behind it 2) started running off at the mouth blaming all this on Bush and his failed policies.

This is good news for the average joe, the majority of those out there are against this bailout and they let the House Reps know it, why the fuck you think Nancy couldn't rally more dem support, hell they hold the majority in the House and Senate should be a easy thing getting it through the House.

Now that jumped up cunt is flapping her gums that it's all the Republicans fault? The audacity. What is clear here is there are more in the know about how this happened and they are not ready to let the fox guard the hen house anymore.

Now the assclowns can go back to work and figure out how to trim the fat get the non-sense in the bill out and come up with a more reasonable solution...oh and Bush should be kicked in the head for listening to Paulson, and acting like chicken little.

Look we're headed for a recession if we do nothing, if we do this idiotic bailout of $700B that recession will turn to depression.

What I wonder and continue to wonder is where are the financial sector CEOs? Have any been summoned to the Hill to testify? Like the Dems did with the Oil CEOs as the price per barrel and you won't see hearings; the dems are trying to cover their collective asses right now, this is their doing and they know it. Hell even Bill Clinton said as much today: