US condemns China space weapon

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jan 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6276543.stm

So it is OK for US to develop anti-satelite missiles, systems but other counties haven't this right.

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi.

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Sergey,

I am damn sure you have the technology to do the same as have US, UK and probably a few more.

Actually deploying said capability goes against the agreed "convention" and that is what the US are pissed about.

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Come on Serge no body like inscursions onto their patch...

[​IMG]

...they own the moon you know ;)

4. No probs we Brits will save the day

Attached Files:

5. Or maybe the community will save the day (Last one I promise)

Attached Files:

6. More seriously, the US are on a hiding to nothing ... again.

The US has recently spent a lot of time and effort opposing international agreements to demilitiarise space - so that they can deploy their own kit. So they're being hypocritical in the extreme by objecting to this test. The Chinese have broken no international agreements and the US has ensured that there will be no international agreements to break in the near future. What we hear is simply whining that the perceived Asiatic inferior has done what the US plans to do.

It's also interesting to note that the Chinese place a proportion of their GNSS satellites in geo-stationary orbit - far more difficult to reach than the GPS birds in MEO.

7. Our American friends said that 'the test went against the spirit of co-operation...'.

The Chinese haven't violated any signed agreement.

Unlikely the UK has (just now) developed anti-satelite systems. Though potentially it is possible.

8. It's a bit rich isn't it? The USA proudly says on national television that it retains the right to do whatever it pleases in space, including knocking out space satellites to protect its global interests. Everyone say 'ooooh, sh!tting meself'.

It doesn't occur to them that someone might actually take that as a threat (which is how it was meant) and then decide to get there first.

If I was the chinese head shed, or anyone else with the technological or military muscle, I'd be sayng, OK USA, you've set the precedence, I'll get there first. I wanna hear you b!tches crying about the fact that I've now got an entire space-based flotilla of deadly stuff, and it's all pointing not only at you, but your satellites. Oh and by the way, I've colonised Mars, it's fcuking mine b!tch so stay away.

The septics REALLY need to get a grip on reality. If they say it's OK to fill space with weapons, then they are cretins, and they can't be upset if eveyone else does too.

Good work Bush, you cnut!

I think the best the British can hope or is a couple of greasy spoons at each end of the space station.

9. Sergy

The UK have VAST ( Vindaloo Assisted Satellite Terminator )

Launchpads all over the world. :brilsmurf:

10. So elegant, so succinct.
    One missile fired up beyond the atmosphere knocks out an old satellite.
    One very long Chinese finger stuck up to Uncle Sam.

Hardly any further comment from them needed I would have thought.

11. The yanks did it 20 years ago and russia supposedly blinded a spy satilite before that so nothing new there .Guess its pentagon demanding $
    billions for space defense .Playing star wars has got to be more fun than trying to sort out iraq/afganistian and the USAF dosent like CAS..

12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Course not - that doesn't mean that there isn't a set of unwritten rules on what each nation can do. It's called diplomacy! :thumleft:

13. Either way right or wrong, isn't it amazing what they can build with lego these days:)!

14. Well done the Chinks. More power to you boys!

15. I bet you'll eat these words in 50 years