US Coastguard: a few careers over the side

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Sep 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh dear oh dear.....

Coastguards spark 9/11 security scare near Pentagon ceremony

"The alert came when Coast Guard vessels simulated an emergency in which a small vessel was trying to break through a security zone imposed around the Pentagon complex, on the banks of the river, where the President was laying a wreath.

CNN – which was monitoring radio traffic – broke into its coverage to announce that 10 shots had been fired at a "suspicious vessel" and reported the arrest of a man with leg injuries. A nearby airport promptly grounded all flights.

But the Coast Guard was forced to admit that the whole thing had been a training exercise about which other agencies, including the police and FBI, had not been told. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6830899.ece

2. Not entirely the USCG problem. According to news reports here in the US the Coasties were using a training only frequency that is not used for operational matters. No shots were fired at all however radio transmissions referred to shots fired. Sounds like the news media should have called for confirmation before going on the air with it.

It does make me very glad that where I am from and my agency and agencies we work with ALWAYS open and close each transmission with "This is a drill"

3. Double post removed.

4. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Braindead DS

If this exercise was scheduled for yesterday and even if the FBI and everyone else had not been notified that it was an exercise, then I feel that the response would have been that the USCG are doing their bit to protect the USA. Do it on the anniversary of 9/11 and the whole perspective has changed.

it seems as if the good Emperor Mong has decided to set his sights on USA

5. mwhahahhah the emperour is enjoying his US holidays.
    Obamma yes your highness trying to sort out the US healthcare buisness is going to be easy what could go wrong :evil:

small boat exercise on the ponitac can't do thursday do it friday morning debrief with a barbie to finish the working week . sounds like a great idea your highness :twisted:

6. Bloody CNN, didn't realise that the safeguard rule was in force