US chopper paint job

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by 4-8-Alfa, Sep 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning Flash.
    Check this out for a paint job

Here

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It is a spectacular paint job but nowt to do with the sceptics. It was a Czeq job for a heli meet a few years ago if memory serves me right.

Edited to add - that was snopes and it was Hungarian. :oops:

3. cool...pointless but cool

4. I live the rest of my life a much wiser man - cheers :D

5. 'Tis true, I saw it at a static display a few years ago, it isnt the only photo in circlation.

I have a few from Fairford this year that I will try and post at some point, I have a lovely one with a duck painted all the way down it!!!

6. Camels?

Attached Files:

7. The national insignia is the green, white and red triangular yoke on the tail fin. On regular aircraft it's a bit bigger.

NTM

8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Hinds, actually ... female dears [oops, deers]. 8)

Get your head round some of the sh1te that turns up at NATO "Tiger Meet" ... for everyone with a Tiger in their Sqn badge and a tasteless twat with a paint-brush. 8O

9. That looks pretty damned awesome. A fair bit of time and talent went into that job.

10. Oi!!

Tasteful 1

Tasteful 2

Ze Gormans idea of taste

11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

IMHO [no, delete that "H"] this posing is a massive waste of materials and, more importantly, valuable personnel time and effort, all of which costs the Defence budget. 8O

I bet you got a fork-off great Velcro badge to go with it ... :lol:

12. [spotter]
    Whats up with the nose on that boxhead Mk9? Is it the same as the anti IR missile thing on the arse of the UK lynx?

And how come the Germans don't suffer from 4R vibes?, wheres the donk?
    [/spotter]

13. Firstly its a German Mk88 not a Mk9.

Secondly. On the nose of the German cab, you have a radar (big disc under nose) and RWR sensors on the front (same as Mk3 and Mk8 navy Lynx). As far as I'm aware, they don't have any form of anti-IR kit like our ALQ144.

As for the 'Bonk' (not donk ;) ), I think the Army are the only cabs to use it (although some cabs do, some cabs don't). Dunno whether its because ours are the only ones to suffer from bad 4R (doubt it) or whether Navy fit cabs dont due to role fit. We removed ours a couple of years ago due to the spindles on some were found to be a bit fecked. But now they are all fine and dandy (apparently), we've refitted them.

You know the bonk only moves the vibration towards the tail and doesn't actually get rid of it? The parameters for ensuring the bonk does it's job is very limited and most cabs don't fall into the criteria on most sorties anyway. Seems like another bit of kit Westlands flogged us for no apparent reason whatsoever. Thank god for the reinforced tail bodge we did a few years ago (due to tails falling off a bit)! All down to the CMRB I might add. The cabs were fine before we fitted those pieces of shite (when I say 'fine' I mean they only killed a smaller percentage due to them reverting to kit form in flight).

14. Sadly, Flash, not all the vibration got shifted aft - a good deal of it gets absorbed by the crew, especially in the knees of the NHP. After they ran out of space for reinforcement strapping on the boom they came up with the bonk, IIRC. The Quack who did my examination told me he'd seen quite a number of Naval Lynx bods with vibe-induced injuries.

(Ever see the bonk getting tuned at 71? Bolt the bonk to a big block of concrete, and get a BAT to hit it with a lump hammer).

I will agree with you about Wastelands marketing abilities, though. Went to Yeovil when they rolled out the Mk9. (see what I did there). Chatting with one of there senior bods over cucumber butties, I congratulated them on offloading their surplus stock of Whirlwind oleos. Chappy needed medical intervention.

Did they ever relocate the wheel brake hydraulic lines from the front of the leg, or is it still vulnerable to getting twatted?