US captain guilty of Iraq killing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cheesypoptart, Mar 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Beeb

A military court has found a US army captain guilty of killing a wounded Iraqi man in central Iraq last year.
    Capt Rogelio Maynulet, 30, said he shot the man, who had been wounded in a clash with US soldiers, in order to end his suffering.

The court based in Wiesbaden, Germany, found Maynulet guilty of assault with intent to commit manslaughter.

The panel will later discuss a sentence for the charge, which carries a maximum of 10 years in prison.

Maynulet 'played God'

The prosecution had pressed for a conviction on the more serious charge of assault with intent to commit murder, which can carry a 20-year jail sentence.

Karim Hassan, 36, was killed on 21 May last year near the central Iraqi town of Kufa.

This combat-trained life saver prescribed two bullets - he didn't call his superiors for guidance, didn't consult with his medic

Maj John Rothwell

US troops fired at a vehicle they thought was carrying militants linked to the radical Shia cleric Moqtada Sadr.

The hearing was told that the car's passenger was killed immediately, while the driver was badly injured.

Lt Colin Cremin testified that Maynulet and others in his unit had described the incident to him, saying the driver "had half his brain hanging out, there was nothing more that could be done for him".

In closing remarks on Thursday, the prosecution had said Maynulet had "played God" when he shot the man.

"This combat-trained life saver prescribed two bullets. He didn't call his superiors for guidance, didn't consult with his medic," Maj John Rothwell said.

Maynulet currently remains with the Wiesbaden unit but he was suspended from command on 25 May last year.

2. This really is a hard one... :?

The reports say that the iraqi had half his head missing (but this could be propoganda) and that it would have been kinder to put the guy out of his misery.

Conversly the convicted was a trained battle medic and as such out of his unit would have been the most likely to have been able to save the guy. Even if he did know that the guy was on his way out, might it have been better just to administer a lethal dose of morphine thus easing his pain and letting him die in a humane way.

I dont know, i wasnt there, i just feel sorry for all sides involved.

A_S

3. Isn't it a bit ironic that this CPT gets convicted of a mercy killing and playing God.....AND during the same week; the US courts allowed a brain damaged woman to be starved to her death.

4. The Captain asked the court for leniancy. Two NCO's also involved in this case were sentenced to 3 years and 1 year respectively. Unfortunately a bad decision was made that will cost the careers of several people. The Captain should have had his medic provide what aid he could and have the wounded Iraqi sent to a hospital.

Last week we had a West Point graduate throw away his career by ordering troops to force 2 Iraqi's into a river where one died. Again a bad decision.

5. Hmm...that USMA grad sounded like a complete and utter idiot to me. That was just wanton cruelty.

But this guy, I'd say that's a tough one! When I put up that report, I hadn't really put much thought into it.
    Now, I'd speculate that this has occured thousands of times in armed conflict, and I would also suspect certain movies may have helped make up this guy's mind that he was doing the right thing. I really believe that he did it out of sympathy as well.

I wouldn't blame this on Bush's "Culture of Life' though. Times are changing for the military, and the West/Pantano cases show that.

6. Capt Rogelio Maynulet has been dismissed from the Army and will receive no other punishment.