US cant tell a Nuclear fuze trigger from a battery.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by EX_STAB, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Continues:
  2. When I heard that on the news the other night I had to giggle. Of course, had any other state done it, it would have been accused of vertical proliferation, but the ol' US of A? No sirrrreeeeeeee! It was just an honest accident, after all, the two items look SO alike! 8O :roll: :D
  3. Hmmm, maybe it was just a number inversion on the LSN - Ask for a paper clip, get a trident nuclear missile!
  4. And by an odd coincidence, nobody is now sure whether the Yanks have been supplying Taiwan with nuclear weapons technology. Not intentional, by any manner of means, oh no.

Edited to add: bloody liars.
  5. Background info on the technical aspects for those interested in these things:
  6. Sure and China will be very interested in this 'mistake'.
  7. i could happen i used too have huge troubles matching green army socks from Man @ QnM's and i am way brighter than the average spetic 8O
  8. It might help if your sources could get the series of events right in the first place and if you folks knew a few things about how things are run. The BBC is not the place to get that. The blame is actually with the folks at Hill AFB.
  9. An accidental mixup involving the most heavily restricted technology on the planet which just so happens to support America's strategic interests in the area? Yeah, and AIDS might just cure itself by accident as well.
  10. Yes carrots it was a cock up, but you might as well adjust your tin foil hat now. Tawian is not the place to build or store ICBM's, they would be better off with nuke tipped cruise missles. Not a Minuteman III.........
  11. It doesn't matter where the blame is said to lie, nor the number of "Aw shucks, we screwed up!" explanations given: the US accepts no argument from other countries when it comes to proliferation, vertical or horizontal.
  12. Maybe it was a simple screw up or a message to the PRC as they suppress dissidents in Tibet. I find it curious that the Taiwanese didnt even bother to look at the shipment. In any case Secretary Gates has ordered a complete inventiory of the nuclear arsenal and an investigation of course.
  13. In the first place, the trigger isn't necessarily type-specific and could be used in something other than an ICBM. In the second, providing the chance to examine nuclear technology counts as 'proliferation', which is why we Brits have this for example. In the third, ICBMs are a good weapon to use to hit the large, open spaces of Western China where (supposedly) their missile bases are. In the fourth, the Taiwanese may very well be better off with cruise missiles, but they'll take what they can get.

In any case, the prospect of nuclear weapons technology has now been brought into the equation where it didn't exist before. That's a political gambit, not a military one.
  14. I hate to labour the point, but insofar as it has actually happened, it does not matter how it happened or the intent, it is a breach of the NPT:

The Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, also referred to as the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), obligates the five acknowledged nuclear-weapon states (the United States, Russian Federation, United Kingdom, France, and China) not to transfer nuclear weapons, other nuclear explosive devices, or their technology to any non-nuclear-weapon state.
  15. Like there hasnt already been proliferation India,Pakistan.North Korea,Libya,Iran and god knows who else.