US calls in Paras for Baghdad secret war

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by naguere, Apr 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Clickety

US calls in Paras for Baghdad secret war
  2. Are they in this case under protection of Geneva convention? Do they wear foreign military uniform (that is forbidden by Geneva convention) by order? Is this (alleged) order a criminal one?
  3. msr

msr LE

I believe that it is fighting in the uniform of your enemy which is illegal; not dressing up as one of your allies.

4. I was wrong. Wearing of any even enemy's military uniform is not forbidden by Geneva convention.

At least I haven't fount anything about it in the text.
  5. You're looking in the wrong place. Article 23 of the Annex of the Hague Convention, No. IV, 1907, says: " In addition to the prohibitions provided by special conventions it is especially forbidden . . . (f) to make improper use of a flag of truce, of the national flag, or of the military insignia or uniform of the enemy, as well as the distinctive badges of the Geneva Convention ".

There is no impediment in international law or accepted rules of war which restricts the wearing of uniforms of allied powers. The general principle is that one should be able to distinguish between friend and foe.

The following article is quite interesting in this regard:
  6. msr

msr LE

7. Not very secret now is it?
  8. Well said Legs, beat me to it you....................

It's ok, it's still secret. I didn't tell the wife.
  9. Let's be honest, we've been borrowing US kit in every Theatre so why stop now?

They do not call us the Borrowers or the Flintstones for nothing you know.

10. 'borrow' ? that implies giving the goodies back :twisted: :lol:

Yank camp beds still popular? :wink:
  11. Lets face it we have to use their kit, as they can't recognise anyones else's kit and you would just wind getting shot by them.
  12. IIRC we were offered c.30 000 sets of desert pattern US BDUs for TELIC 1 due to the cluster fcuk of the supply chain.

it was denied due to the political sensitivities?

but i may be wrong??
  13. Is it relevant when the 'enemy' haven't signed the conventions and certainly don't abide by them?
  14. Let's regard this scenario.

USA decides to bomb Iran. As a result Iran declares a state of war with USA. The UK declares its neutrality. Iranian commandos capture British soldiers in Baghdad while wearing American military uniform. In this case Iranians could deny rights of POWs for Britons.