US bridge collapse

Waterloo have a coop system where students get coop placements mixed in between their academic terms. There are different "streams", so the coop placements can be at any time of the year. It takes longer to graduate, but when you do you have (usually) relevant experience which gives you a head start in a career.

Here's the requirements for a P Eng in Ontario (professional licensing is a provincial matter). Note the 48 month experience requirement.
Become a P.Eng. / Requirements for Licensure

To be granted a licence to practise professional engineering in Ontario, an applicant must:
  1. be at least 18 years old;
  2. be of good character;
  3. meet PEO's stipulated academic requirements for licensure (hold an undergraduate engineering degree from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation board (CEAB)-accredited program, or possess equivalent qualifications), and, if required, successfully complete any technical exams.
  4. fulfill the engineering work experience requirements (demonstrate at least 48 months of verifiable, acceptable engineering experience, at least 12 months of which must be acquired in a Canadian jurisdiction under a licensed professional engineer); and
  5. successfully complete PEO’s Professional Practice Examination (PPE).
I don't know how to fit 4 years of experience into a normal engineering program, but there might be some non-obvious angle to it such as working part time doing engineering work during the academic terms.

Waterloo is also a major centre of high tech industry, originally spreading out from the university into the surrounding area. It then grew across Waterloo and into Kitchener (which is directly adjacent to Waterloo). The Perimeter Institute is also located there and they conduct advanced research into physics and cosmology.

McGill is another one of the top universities in Canada. Good luck to her as well.
Waterloo is hugh now for things like startups

Back when I was practicing, I always insisted on engineers being present during early structural pours to set the standard. And then doing snap visits once the standard has been set. Two problems; clients don’t want the expense and junior engineers don’t have the moral courage to stand up to knarly old concrete foremen.
My old boss maintained that if you wanted anything other than "2 sand, 1 cement" you had to stand over them.

My old boss maintained that if you wanted anything other than "2 sand, 1 cement" you had to stand over them.
I think there’s a strong case for engineers to inspect the entire concrete supply chain from batching plant to pour irrespective of whether they have a quality management system.

It’s too late to find that the plant’s quality control is poor once the the first truck of a multi truck pour has arrived.