US bridge collapse

I love arrse,, the number of "experts" that know what happened and the route cause amazes me.

You are all right and deserve payment for helping to solve this deep tragic event.

I salute you all.

There are videos shot from the other side of the bridge which clearly show the point of failure. I was referring to those when talking about the right hand side. The clip here on CNN is very focused on the point of failure; there are other clips from further back in which you can clearly see the sequence and see the deck fall off the left hand pier after the beam failure.

It’s a classic beam concrete beam failure. It broke at pretty much the point I would chose to attack if I had to drop a concrete deck bridge!

Having quoted your post, I can see the link I couldn't see before. I can't make it work, but I dug around based on your description and found it on this page:

Florida bridge collapse: Police name 4 of those who died - CNN

As you say, from that angle it does look like it goes somewhere between the first two diagonals.

I love arrse,, the number of "experts" that know what happened and the route cause amazes me.

You are all right and deserve payment for helping to solve this deep tragic event.

I salute you all.
Cable stay bridge. Delete the cable stay part, install the deck and wait for gravity to remind you about how you're going to spend the rest of your life in prison.
It's not exactly rocket science. ;)

Cable stay bridge. Delete the cable stay part, install the deck and wait for gravity to remind you about how you're going to spend the rest of your life in prison.
It's not exactly rocket science. ;)
Just like me you know f*** all regarding the route cause or the failure mechanism.

That's my point, too many video experts on here.

It was supposed to have a big sticky up thing in the middle of the road with cables supporting the deck.
Find them in wreckage and get back to us.
As well as the videos, when you have access to the FRS, DDS, detailed construction drawings, construction plan, materials specs and certs, site as built (as found) records then you may start on your learned journey for the answer.

Until then like me you know f*** all.

Apparently the university's engineering department consider themselves to be leading experts on the innovative method of construction used, and the firm in charge of construction had a lot of the university's graduates on their staff.

Here's what the university's web site has to say about themselves.
First-of-its-kind pedestrian bridge “swings” into place
Home - Accelerated Bridge Construction
The ABC-UTC has assembled an experienced, knowledgeable, and engaged group of bridge academics and engineers who collectively will provide the transportation industry with the tools needed to effectively and economically utilize the principles of ABC to enhance mobility, and safety and produce safe, environmentally friendly, long-lasting bridges.
and also:
The broad objectives of the Tier I Accelerated Bridge Construction University Transportation Center (ABC-UTC) are to advance the frontier of Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC); develop new ABC knowledge; effectively transfer the state-of-the-art ABC knowledge to the profession; develop a next-generation ABC work force; provide leadership in making contributions to solve national transportation issues; ...
This pedestrian bridge was considered to be "an outstanding example" of the bridge construction methods they promote.
“This project is an outstanding example of the ABC method,” said chair of FIU’s Civil & Environmental Engineering Department and director of FIU’s ABC-UTC Atorod Azizinamini, who is one of the world’s leading experts on Accelerated Bridge Construction.
They want to become the "educational focal point" for "Accelerated Bridge Construction" (ABC) in the US and to be the national centre of expertise in these matters.
About Us - Accelerated Bridge Construction
  • Become the educational focal point for advancing principles of ABC.
  • Serve as a national repository and focal point for assisting federal, state, and local agencies on matters related to ABC.
  • Educate the current and next generation of engineers on when and how to effectively use ABC technologies.
They champion the need to maintain the safety of bridges, going so far as to say "... we cannot cross bridges that have fallen apart ...". One can certainly not argue with the eloquence or wisdom of that statement.

Well, they've certainly made an international name for themselves when it comes to bridges, so perhaps they will be able to build upon this to reach their goals.

Apparently the university's engineering department consider themselves to be leading experts on the innovative method of construction used, and the firm in charge of construction had a lot of the university's graduates on their staff.
And despite cutting and pasting, what was the point of your post?

And despite cutting and pasting, what was the point of your post?
The point was to further inform the readership of this august and respected web site as to how closely the university identified themselves with the methods being used in the construction of the recently collapsed bridge. This had been raised in a number of the related news stories and it seemed relevant to provide more background information on this matter. If that's all right with you, that is?

The point was to further inform the readership of this august and respected web site as to how closely the university identified themselves with the methods being used in the construction of the recently collapsed bridge. This had been raised in a number of the related news stories and it seemed relevant to provide more background information on this matter. If that's all right with you, that is?
I repeat for the hard of hearing.

As well as the videos, when you have access to the FRS, DDS, detailed construction drawings, construction plan, materials specs and certs, site as built (as found) records, day reports, then you may start on your learned journey for the answer.

Just like me you know f*** all regarding the route cause or the failure mechanism.

That's my point, too many video experts on here.
IMHO any self-respecting professional civil engineer should be looking at those videos to see if they can identify the failure mechanism. That’s a very different thing from speculating about the cause of failure oI or attempting to apportion blame.

I suspect that there won’t be a single root cause; there will be many minor failings that add up to a catastrophe. I for one will follow with interest and so should anyone in the business of managing complex engineering projects.

As well as the videos, when you have access to the FRS, DDS, detailed construction drawings, construction plan, materials specs and certs, site as built (as found) records, day reports, then you may start on your learned journey for the answer.

You seem very upset by the speculation. Would you care to share why?

Just so you know, you are coming across as a bit of a twat.

If the UK civil engineering industry relied on chartered engineers, nothing would get built. They are very rare birds these days.
The Engineering Council UK published a long list of newly Chartered Civil Engineers (Members of the Institution of Civil Engineers ) at the beginning of March and have done so every three months since Telford were a lad. The ICE had more registrants on the EC’s list than any of the other 30 something licenced Engineering Institutions.

That said, some of the names of the registrants suggest that they may not be practising in the UK.

SAFEGUARD!

Has anyone seen @meerkatz ? Here is a technical, public safety issue with an extensive legal dimension and he’s absent from keyboard. Conduct unbecoming an SME.

Worst case is he’s under the bridge, best is that he’s assisting whichever State or Federal agency leads the investigation into this sort of mess.

I salute you all.
Lest you need reminding, Army Rumour Service.

ARRSE as a collective and individual ARRSErs have form for being ‘on the money’ with all manner of murder/mystery events. Journalists check out the ARRSE take before they look at RUSI.

Sometimes.