US bridge collapse

'Several fatalities' in US bridge collapse

First of it's kind. And the last no doubt.*
That looks an awfully light construction for such a long span.

Someone got the calcs wrong?

Edit *For the hard of reading.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
First-of-its-kind pedestrian bridge “swings” into place. “FIU is about building bridges and student safety. This project accomplishes our mission beautifully,” -President Mark B. Rosenberg. http://bit.ly/2IihmUm #worldsahead

Like I said first and last.
He means see the first post on this thread.

Someone got the calcs wrong?
Hope it turns out to be one those clever little projects that was offered to the University for them to design and spec 'their own bridge'. "Aww, ain't that nice! The students are all grown up and are already competent engineers..."

According to wiki Florida International University offers many graduate programs including architecture and engineering.... They also major in Medicine and Law. Practical medicine might come handy right now. The Law bit will be handy too in time.

However I suspect the lecturers in the FIU Architecture and Engineering departments are rapidly scanning through whether they put their signatures to anything that was submitted for construction.....

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I owe Civvy scum an apology...damn this hurts.
Teehee. Shouldn't have got all bolshy in Boston all those years ago. You'd still be part of an edumacated country ;). If you ask really nicely, we'll let you rejoin the commonwealth. We'll supply you with a new Prime Minister, in place of your awful President types. You might have heard of him, initials J.C.

As for Robs dad's post, I thought all US civil engineers had to be licensed. £5 says someone will be losing theirs.

Teehee. Shouldn't have got all bolshy in Boston all those years ago. You'd still be part of an edumacated country ;). If you ask really nicely, we'll let you rejoin the commonwealth. We'll supply you with a new Prime Minister, in place of your awful President types. You might have heard of him, initials J.C.

As for Robs dad's post, I thought all US civil engineers had to be licensed. £5 says someone will be losing theirs.
1521150340064.png

Similar but not quite as bad as this catwalk collapse:
The Hyatt Regency walkway collapse took place at the Hyatt Regency Kansas City hotel in Kansas City, Missouri, on July 17, 1981. Two walkways, one directly above the other, collapsed onto a tea dance being held in the hotel's lobby. The falling walkways killed 114 and injured 216. It was the deadliest structural collapse ...
read more:
Hyatt Regency walkway collapse - Wikipedia

1521149932421.png

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I thought all US civil engineers had to be licensed.
Aye they do mate as is the case with most professions over here. They also have to sit ( I forget what it's called) a continuation training type thing every couple of years to make sure they are up to date with all things regarding their particular profession.

Just opened March 10, 2018
Have I mis-read the linked article on BBC? Doesn't that say that the bridge would be opened next year? It seems to have been 'under construction'at the moment. The final design may have been completely sound, but the building of it lacked a few bits of scaffolding, metaphorically speaking.