US "Brave Boy" Medals et al.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by maninblack, Oct 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

When you see a member of the US armed forces wearing dress uniform of whatever type they all come across as very brave because they have an oodleiscious collection of medals.

Can anyone answer the following?

1) Does each of the little buckram ribbons represent a real metal medal that they have at home or are most of them just a bit of girly ribbon wrapped round some buckram?

2) Does anyone know of a website that explains which medal ribbon is 25 yards swimming and which one is for being a very brave dential nurse?

2. Have a looksee here

http://www.specialops4x4.com/4thbattalion/medals.html

3. I agree with your sentiments maninblack. Those who earn proper campaign medal have them lost in a sea of fruitsalad which just diminishes their efforts. Having said that the British system goes to the other extreme and fails to recognise efforts properly.

4. UASF servicemen get a medal for being stationed in the hostile country of old blighty.

Kinda makes you think about the worth of medals as a whole in the US military

5. Yank matelots get a ribbon for passing basic training. Surely if they didn't pass basic training, they wouldn't be wearing the uniform?? Anyway, don't get me started on yanks who've been in 3 years and are equivalent to a Sgt/PO/RAF Gimp

6. On Ex Puckered Star in Fort Bragg they had guys walking around like f*cking Monty. We had a chat with one or two of them, turned out they were nigs who had just been posted in! WTF!! I know people complain about the UK getting a little boy scout, but these buggers get one just for shooting straight.

7. I suppose its like the yanks wearing their PAMPUS read out on their uniforms.

8. very interesting point.

in the ACF we have to serve 12 years before we can get a Cadet Force medal and if we are lucky maybe a jubilee and coronation gong.
    being in the ACF is actually quite hard work, it a different nature from TA/Regs job of course, it would have been nice to have something say at 6 year point halfway mark to recognise the efforts made by the Adults..

as to the regs i am sure many awards is well deserved, bravery and campaign meals, in time of peace the opportunties are few to receive anything except a LSGC or similar maybe even a NI gong thats about it. even a Nijmegen march gong at a push which you can't wear.

permission to wear foriegn medals earned in war like the Kuwaiti and Saudi medal etc should also be allowed

i do agree some modification of the medal scheme is required but not to the extremes the Americans have gone to.

9. Do I read this right?

b. The ribbon may be awarded retroactively to personnel who successfully completed annual training or active duty for training on foreign soil in a Reserve status prior to July 11, 1984, provided they have an active status in the Reserve Components on or after July 11, 1984.

10. This has to be the uber-alt medal: Sit on you arrse for a year, get a medal. AGC clerks take note

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/iadbm.shtml

Criteria:
    a. U.S. military personnel who have served on the Inter-American Defense Board for at least 1 year as chairman of the board, delegates, advisers, officers of the staff, officers of the secretariat, or officers of the Inter-American Defense College may wear the Inter-American Defense Board ribbon permanently.

11. Its more like a cv than a chest full of gongs .But they are pushing for a cold war victory/service medal .So you get a ribbion for every course, place you serve etc .

12. It gets better, you can get two medals for the same thing:
    http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/vietwound.shtml
    Criteria: For military personnel who had been wounded in action and to government officials wounded in the line of duty by the enemy or rebels

AND

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/ph.shtml
    Criteria:The Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States to any member of an Armed Force who, while serving with the U.S. Armed Services after 5 April 1917, has been wounded or killed, or who has died or may hereafter die after being wounded In any action with an opposing armed force of a foreign country in which the Armed Forces of the United States are or have been engaged;