US attacks UK plan to arm Afghan militias

Do you support British line to arm militias in Afghanistan?

• Absolutely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes with some reservations

• Rather yes than no

• The idea is rather wrong but who knows?

• No, I do not

• Strongly against

• Total voters
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article3336112.ece

The US general in charge of training the Afghan police has criticised British-backed plans to arm local militias in an attempt to defeat the Taliban. The remarks by Maj-Gen Robert Cone, the second most senior US soldier in Afghanistan, are likely to deepen the row between London and Washington over how to counter the insurgency.

General Cone, who is in charge of rebuilding the Afghan police force, is the second US commander to condemn the initiative. He said: "Anything that detracts from a professional, well-trained, well-led police force is not the answer."

Last month, Gordon Brown said Britain would increase its support for "community defence initiatives, where local volunteers are recruited to defend homes and families modelled on traditional Afghan arbakai". The arbakai system involves arming untrained Afghani men, who agree to come running at the beating of a drum if their village elders feel threatened.

KGB_resident said:
General Cone, who is in charge of rebuilding the Afghan police force, is the second US commander to condemn the initiative. He said: "Anything that detracts from a professional, well-trained, well-led police force is not the answer."
I thought the problem was that they aren't!

No need to apologise, Sergey, and I have now cast my vote (Option 2).

Rumpelstiltskin said:
No need to apologise, Sergey, and I have now cast my vote (Option 2).
Btw, I have the same opinion (I haven't voted myself though).

Latest Threads