US Army trials New dress uniform- WW2 style Pinks and Greens

Looks like the Ike jacket and a brown leather bomber jacket will also be making a comeback. I think it's rather stylish, especially with full-size chevrons and stuff.
the A2 flying jacket has been issued by the USAF again since 1988

As I understand, it's much easier to become airborne in the USA
Basic Parachutist Course is 4 weeks at Ft Benning Ga.
Zero week (inprocess admin stuff)
Ground week
Tower week
Jump Week

Am I right in thinking jump boots are awarded to any Tom, Dick or Harry?
Jump Boots arent awarded you buy them at the PX- they arent issued but like stable belts you have to have them if in an Airborne unit

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
It was George C Marshall who introduced much of what you deride

His idea for the CIB and CMB, the glider rider wings which evolved into air assault wings (UH-1 Huey replaced the Waco CG4 on them)

Unit awards like the PUC/MUC
Combat Leader tabs (green tabs)
Air medal
Bronze Star medal
Well like the idea to re-introduce the P&Gs, the original impulse is usually a pretty good one. Unfortunately there seems to be a tendency for these things to explode beyond all reason.

I actually think that the US Army was in a very good place, in respect to uniforms and awards, at the close of WW2. In fact right up until the mid 1950s. They had some snazzy knockout outfits that are still iconic (well obviously, given the subject of this thread), with a good reflection of risk, reward and service shown in their awards and decorations.

In fact, I’ve always thought that us Brits could have learned a thing or two from the Americans. Always envied them the CIB and still treasure the one that a US Army captain unofficially presented me with many moons ago.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The peaked caps look ridiculous, remind me of the military of some Latin American banana state.

For bling, chappie minding him on some trip to Canada told me that Lord Mountbatten's RN reefer, fully loaded, weighed 47 lbs and had a metal plate inside on the left to keep it in shape.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh and the examples of ORs' kit look like models, they don't carry themselves like soldiers .. oh, wait ..

As I understand, it's much easier to become airborne in the USA
Airborne school has two major roles - preparing soldiers to serve in airborne units and serving as a leadership/confidence builder course for leaders. This is why all officers and ROTC cadets can attend if they so desire. I went through Fort Benning in August and 80% of my class were ROTC cadets who had just completed summer camp, the vast majority of whom never served in an airborne unit.

It is easier than P-Company because it isn't designed to be a rigorous course that weeds out the weak. Life in a line unit, however, is tough, and you need very fit to succeed.

Last edited:
It was George C Marshall who introduced much of what you deride

His idea for the CIB and CMB, the glider rider wings which evolved into air assault wings (UH-1 Huey replaced the Waco CG4 on them)

Unit awards like the PUC/MUC
Combat Leader tabs (green tabs)
Air medal
Bronze Star medal
A lot of the bling was implemented to make the combat arms more "glamorous" because they were having trouble attracting high-quality people, who were being sucked up by the Army Air Corps in large numbers.

Airborne school has two major roles - preparing soldiers to serve in airborne units and serving as a leadership/confidence builder for leaders. This is why all officers and ROTC cadets can attend if they so desire. I went through Fort Benning in August and 80% of my class were ROTC cadets who had just completed summer camp, the vast majority of whom never served in an airborne unit.

It is easier than P-Company because it isn't designed to be a rigorous course that weeds out the weak. Life in a line unit, however, is tough, and you need very fit to succeed.
All the way?

Every day! (yes - some of my compatriots did wear their berets a little too tight and got carried away with the hurrah BS but that seems to be common to airborne units everywhere. :)).