US Army Testing XM-25 Smart Weapon

maguire said:
AFA06 said:
Go on - someone enlighten me

What is a SMART round????
it's very well turned out, with nicely polished shoes and a neat haircut. :wink:
Don't forget starched and pressed camouflage uniforms and clean fingernails.

Voltiguer said:
I see where you're coming from, the round is smaller, but if you're able to put it right on top of someone then I'm willing to bet this allows the round to be smaller. A 25mm round may not have the bang of a 40mm round, but I still wouldn't want it going bang a foot away from my head...
Some years ago the French did a nice bit of research on the minimum size of grenade required to reliably incapacitate the enemy, which they presented at one of the small arms conferences. The issue is not so much the size of the bang, but how much effective frag it puts onto the target.

Well I won't repeat the minimum size required - but it was a good deal bigger than 25mm and their evidence was pretty convincing. Afterwards the US guys were asked why they were persisting with 25mm, to which there were only embarassed smiles and shuffling.

As I understand it, even with a 40mm UGL, you still need to hit the target almost smack on for it to be effective.

I wonder what the Russian experience with 30mm grenades has been? Thats the only smaller-than-40mm grenade I can think of that would have seen active service.

Do like the idea, (not coming towards me) of flechettes

Air Burst Flechette Grenade

A lozenge shaped grenade that can be fired from most 40mm grenade launchers. When fired, the grenade lands on it's weighted end and a secondary charge propels the top three-quarters of the grenade 4 feet up in the air; It is at this point that the grenade explodes spraying a 10m diameter area with fast, sharp, drill like metal flechettes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flechettes from a 120mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk6wxBQ3f_0

nice ending

Whenever I've fired UGL I cant help but think it's a bit useless even if you get it near enough smack on the target the fragmentation bearly touches the fig 11.

Maybe with this being an airburst round that detonates directly above the target it might be better, even being a smaller calibre.

And I've worked a fair bit with the yanks, I've been out patrolling on my own in a USMC multiple, they are no better or worse than our lot, they do some things differently but they're pretty much exactly the same as us.

They're sometimes a bit jumpy, but dangerous and trigger happy is not something I'd describe them as.

DesktopCommando said:
Do like the idea, (not coming towards me) of flechettes

Air Burst Flechette Grenade

A lozenge shaped grenade that can be fired from most 40mm grenade launchers. When fired, the grenade lands on it's weighted end and a secondary charge propels the top three-quarters of the grenade 4 feet up in the air; It is at this point that the grenade explodes spraying a 10m diameter area with fast, sharp, drill like metal flechettes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flechettes from a 120mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk6wxBQ3f_0

nice ending

I carried an M79 grenade launcher in Vietnam and had a chance to use the flechette round although it was later replaced with a 00 buckshot round. I had occasion to use the flechette round in "anger" and the wound (fatal) inflicted from about 25 m looks like a very bad case of hives on the skin without other dramatic damage.

For close range fighting there were two types of M79 rounds. The first was a flechette round ( or Bee Hives round) which housed approx 45 small darts in a plastic casing, these rounds were issued on an experimental basis. Later this round was replaced by the M-576 buckshot round. This round contained twenty-seven 00 buckshot which on firing was carried down the barrel in a 40mm plastic sabot which slowed down in flight so that the pellets could travel in their forward direction un-aided.

Voltiguer said:
I wonder what the Russian experience with 30mm grenades has been? Thats the only smaller-than-40mm grenade I can think of that would have seen active service.
They're still over double the size of the itty-bitty US ones.