US Army Tank Names

Discussion in 'RAC' started by diehard57, Jul 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The US Army (with a little help from the British Army) have a long tradition of naming their tanks after famous generals - M3 Lee/Grant, M4 Sherman, M3/M5 Stuart, M24 Chaffee, M26 Pershing, M41 Walker (Bulldog), M47/48 Patton, M551 Sheridan, M1 Abrams but I don't remember the M60 being allocated a name - are there any smart armoured Arrsers out there who know why?
  2. I always thought that it was also reffered to as the Patton?

Edited for spelling
  3. Definitely a Patton.

Only major track without a name I can think of offhand is the M113. M103 (US Version of Conqueror) didn't have a name either, I don't think.

4. M113 Gavin I believe!

Ah this is unofficial but see this link:

Good for a laugh anyway!
  5. The Gavin is the mod name with the extra armour isn't it?
  6. Yeah we used to name everything, ever noticed how older Brit SP'guns used to be called after all things Churchy-fied:

Priest, Bishop, Archer (although strictly a Tank Destroyer) and Abbot all spring to mind
  7. That's the "Super Gavin" believe it or not!
  8. Priest:

Sexton anyone?

Or how about the unlovely Deacon:
    Follow this link:

Were there any others?
  9. Please, the less exposure Sparky gets with his "Gavin" obsession, the better.

10. There is some bloke who's obsessed with them and claims to be able to fix all US military Doctrine by letting everyone have one. Same bloke?
  11. Yep, that's Sparky.

He also doesn't respond well to crticism. He has some other whacky ideas, and also advocates alien abduction. I think he was more 'on' with the latter than his idea for capturing baghdad by fitting C-130s with floats, landing them on the Tigris, dropping the ramps, and having infantry in M113s drive out the back.

12. I think that guy also has an older brother who advocates Bradleys.
  13. His webpages special, aren't they?