US Army Studying Bloody Sunday "Docudrama"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bokkatankie, Jun 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. www.timesonline.com

Hollywood is now writing the US Armies counter-insurgency doctrine.

Do they not know the difference between fact and fiction? The Bloody Sunday film was not the truth and it can never be protrayed as a factual documentary.

Every single Officer, SNCO, NCO and Private was portrayed in a stereotypical way whilst the salt of the earth Marchers and the only slightly shady IRA are portrayed as freedom fighters and martyrs.

If this is what the US Army believes really happened then they are unfortunately more stupid than we have normally given them credit for.

2. America couldn't tell the difference between a terrorist & a tourist prior to 11 Sept 2001, indeed Adams & Co B&B'ed at the white house with alarming frequency.

3. The links not working

4. Lol, more stoopidness from our yankee friends.

Maybe after watchin that they'll be believing the taliban
    and iraqi insurgents are just civil rights protestors going about
    their day :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. the article

the original link had a double http:// the edited link should work fine.

6. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why they are having arough time in Iraq just now.

7. Im glad that there spectics are learning this lesson so early on in operations in Iraq. 8O

8. Why don't they study the Kent State University shootings of 1970 instead?

9. That's what the British govrnment should have studied a couple of tanks down the Falls Road &The Bogside might have saved thirty years and 3,000 deaths.Lookig at that bit of fiction ("Bloody Sunday") drama docuo will only reinforce the Americans fictionalised belief that The IRA are freedom fighters reluctantly killing and maiming,whilst under extreme provication from the nasty Unionists and the British establishment .I think the Americans always confuse Hollywood with real life

10. Brilliant,

why dont they put that in their pipe and smoke it. :eek:

unfortunatly dont think they ever made a film on it. :cry:

11. Really??Hasn't the British been telling them that for years? Ummmm

12. Quote from the article:

It is not an entirely useful model. “Historically, insurgencies have taken a long time,” the lecturer reflected. “How long have the British been dealing with Northern Ireland?”

Maybe their newfound insight in the matter will translate into a new untried hardhitting action and wrap this "problem" up before xmas.

I'm just off to watch some Steven Segal and Jackie Chan movies- to train myself to be a hero.

13. Brilliant 30 seconds on "Google" revealed a movie "Kent State" widely shown TV movie from 1981

14. Seems like it's not all that easy in Basra either right now. Did not the article say the Army is learning lessons from the" Aftermath" of that incident? Why is it that this forum seems to want to believe anything bad about Americans involved in "Massacres", yet when "Bloody Sunday" comes up, it goes "Batsh1te"???

15. [/quote] Seems like it's not all that easy in Basra either right now. Did not the article say the Army is learning lessons from the" Aftermath" of that incident? Why is it that this forum seems to want to believe anything bad about Americans involved in "Massacres", yet when "Bloody Sunday" comes up, it goes "Batsh1te"???[/quote]

I personally loathe to hear about the merest hint of Britsh soldiers being involved in something like this, it really makes my skin crawl, but Doggie has a valid point.

I still think its a sh1te idea watching a made for telly drama to glean insight into how to conduct counter-insurgency operations...its like learning how to be a dad by watching The Simpsons