Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

US Army starting its own esports team

I saw this earlier the Yanks are now allegedly putting together an eSports team. Obviously great for recruitment etc. If the team reaches the dizzy heights of international levels, it may even have a carry-over effect for the benefit of other nations army recruitment. I like the fact they're also getting veterans involved in the team, too.

Is this something the UK should be emulating? Would it appeal to the right sort of recruit? (I think so, given gaming is such a mainstream hobby nowadays, and plenty of my friend still serving certainly qualify as gamers). I'm not sure about any benefit applying to actual soldiering though, but then again the Army already uses things like the commercial version of Armed Assault etc for training, so maybe. Could also be a way of attracting further interest for cyber roles too.

"The US Army is hoping that esports, of all things, will encourage more young Americans to consider a career in the armed forces. It’s putting together its own esports team as part of the marketing initiative, sending them to tournaments where they can drum up awareness and make the Army seem more relatable.".

The US Army is starting its own esports team | PC Gamer

Last edited:
I saw this earlier the Yanks are now allegedly putting together an eSports team. Obviously great for recruitment etc. If the team reaches the dizzy heights of international levels, it may even have a carry-over effect for the benefit of other nations army recruitment. I like the fact they're also getting veterans involved in the team, too.

Is this something the UK should be emulating? Would it appeal to the right sort of recruit? (I think so, given gaming is such a mainstream hobby nowadays, and plenty of my friend still serving certainly qualify as gamers). I'm not sure about any benefit applying to actual soldiering though, but then again the Army already uses things like the commercial version of Armed Assault etc for training, so maybe. Could also be a way of attracting further interest for cyber roles too.

"The US Army is hoping that esports, of all things, will encourage more young Americans to consider a career in the armed forces. It’s putting together its own esports team as part of the marketing initiative, sending them to tournaments where they can drum up awareness and make the Army seem more relatable.".

You might be able to get some talent for the nerd MOS’s. Then again an Xbox controller is not the same thing as humping Molle. But hey who knows playing COD is great fun when you can kit out with 4 weapons and 2200 rounds worth of 5.56 and 7.62. Maybe it can “help” glam things up and make it easier for the recruiters??

USAF could do something for drone operators.

Is this something the UK should be emulating?

Here's the UK eteam

49df12811c74e379f637f460650e7201.jpg

I understand their located in above a Kebab shop in Luton...

Last edited:
WTF are esports and does it involve any actual physical effort?

About as much effort darts or snooker. Although not uncommon to hear about kids who have retired from esports in their early 20s as millionaires.

Although to double the mileage of this, they should probably also have a Twitch channel for the team too (this is where people play games on a sort of live YouTube. A few real athletes have even taken to doing this when they game)