US Army SSGT to be awarded Medal of Honour.

Z

Zarathustra

Whilst perusing Twitter I came across a post from Michael Yon containing the link below.

Obama to award Medal of Honor to Army veteran of Afghanistan war - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

I did a bit of reasearch and came across this article from The Navy Times

Hero of COP Keating battle to receive MoH - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

During the first three hours of the battle, mortars hit the COP and OP every 15 seconds, and in less than an hour, the enemy swarmed the COP, breaching the Afghan army side of the compound. The enemy eventually set fire to the small outpost, destroying almost 70 percent of it.
Romesha and his fellow soldiers immediately fought back — and continued to fight for hours — as heavy enemy fire rained down on them from all directions.
According to the citation accompanying Romesha’s Medal of Honor, the staff sergeant moved under intense enemy fire to reconnoiter the battlefield and seek reinforcements from the barracks before returning to action with the support of an assistant gunner, who is identified in “The Outpost” as Cpl. Justin Gregory.
Romesha “took out an enemy machine gun team and, while engaging a second, the generator he was using for cover was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade, inflicting him with shrapnel wounds,” according to the citation.
Undeterred by his injuries, Romesha continued to fight, and upon the arrival of another soldier to aid him and with the assistant gunner, Romesha again “rushed through the exposed avenue to assemble additional soldiers.”
Romesha then mobilized and led a five-man team and returned to the fight.
“With complete disregard for his own safety, Romesha continually exposed himself to heavy enemy fire as he moved confidently about the battlefield, engaging and destroying multiple enemy targets, including three Taliban fighters who had breached the combat outpost’s perimeter,” according to the citation.
As the enemy attacked the COP with even “greater ferocity, unleashing a barrage of rocket-propelled grenades and recoilless rifle rounds,” Romesha “identified the point of attack and directed air support to destroy over 30 enemy fighters.”
When he learned that other soldiers at a distant battle position were still alive, Romesha and his team provided covering fire, allowing three of their wounded comrades to reach the aid station, according to the citation.
Romesha and his team also moved 100 meters under “withering fire” to recover the bodies of their fallen comrades.
It sounds to me like the Medal of Honour is well deserved and SSGT Romesha must have balls of steel so a big hats off to him.

One question I have is that this incident took place in October 2009, is it normal for a Medal of Honour be be awarded so long after the incident took place??

Three years is a fairly small delay compared with this chap:

Humbert Roque Versace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whilst perusing Twitter I came across a post from Michael Yon containing the link below.

Obama to award Medal of Honor to Army veteran of Afghanistan war - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

I did a bit of reasearch and came across this article from The Navy Times

Hero of COP Keating battle to receive MoH - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

It sounds to me like the Medal of Honour is well deserved and SSGT Romesha must have balls of steel so a big hats off to him.

One question I have is that this incident took place in October 2009, is it normal for a Medal of Honour be be awarded so long after the incident took place??