• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

US Army Reserve Fcuked

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/baf2692a-5f7a-11d9-8cca-00000e2511c8.html

Army reserve driven to 'breaking point'
By Reuters

The US army reserve, tapped heavily to provide soldiers for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, is “degenerating into a ‘broken' force” because of dysfunctional military policies, the army reserve's chief said in a memo made public on Wednesday, Reuters reports from Washington.

“I do not wish to sound alarmist. I do wish to send a clear, distinctive signal of deepening concern,” Lieutenant General James Helmly said in a December 20 memo to General Peter Schoomaker, the army chief of staff.

The army reserve is a force of 200,000 part-timesoldiers who opted not to sign up for the active-duty army but can be mobilised from their civilian lives in times of national need. About 52,000 army reserve soldiers are on active duty, with 17,000 in Iraq and 2,000 in Afghanistan, the army said.

The army reserve has provided many military police, civil affairs soldiers, medics and truck drivers for the wars. “While ability to meet the current demands associated with OIF [Operational Iraqi Freedom] and OEF [Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan] is of great importance, the army reserve is additionally in grave danger of being unable to meet other operational requirements including those in named OPLANS [operational plans] and CONUS [continental US] emergencies, and is rapidly degenerating into a ‘broken' force,” Lt Gen Helmly wrote.

Lt Gen Helmly said military leaders had rebuffed his proposals for change. The memo's purpose was to inform Gen Schoomaker of the army reserve's “inability under current policies, procedures and practices governing mobilisation, training and reserve component manpower management to meet mission requirements” for the two wars, Lt Gen Helmly wrote.

In his memo, first disclosed by the Baltimore Sun, Lt Gen Helmly titled one section “US Army Reserve Readiness Discussion, Past Dysfunctional Practices/Policies”. The Pentagon, maintaining higher-than-expected troop levels after failing to anticipate that a bloody guerrilla war would follow the downfall of President Saddam Hussein in 2003, has relied heavily on army reserve and army national guard soldiers. These part-time troops comprise about 40 per cent of the US force in Iraq.
I can see the TA going this way soon. :roll:

HVM_Boy said:
I think the mobilisations will stop/pause before that happens, it'll be very clear when that starts occuring - high levels of (employer/personal) exemption requests etc. It'll be just swept under the carpet, leaving things be for a year or two and then starting again if needed

polar said:
HVM_Boy said:
I think the mobilisations will stop/pause before that happens, it'll be very clear when that starts occuring - high levels of (employer/personal) exemption requests etc. It'll be just swept under the carpet, leaving things be for a year or two and then starting again if needed
That sounds way too sensible for the army.Surely they will thrash the arrse out of it until there is no-one left to mobilise/ everyone has jacked. :wink:

Latest Threads