US Army PCBC - Have a look, have a laugh.

Discussion in 'Officers' started by cheesypoptart, Apr 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I couldn't rewind the vid, but amongst the other monumental phuq ups, didn't the offr making ready the AT4 manage to pull the foresight protector off the wpn ?
  2. I did quite enjoy the fact that they were firing an 81mm off concrete. Bedding in two rounds not the norm in the USA then?

What does depress me slightly is that although PCBC can be a thrash and although it turns out the required goods in a majority of cases, the americans did seem to be training in a wider skill set. Ok the exercises didn't look tough but they were getting exposure to the various methods of deployment, use of different weapons and a greater focus on the core skills.

Perhaps PCBC should spend less time teaching YO how to construct range templates and so on and spend more time revising and refining the core skills?

How is this for a suggestion: Enlarge the size of the SASC and allocate permanent range teams to units thus allowing the young officers to cut there teeth actually commanding there platoons and learning to the job they are paid for rather then running ranges for their whole unit or other units who's YO's are not 4 and 5 qualified?
  3. The results prove the pudding as it were. Do we select leaders or train leadership? I would like to believe that a Lt or Capt in the British Army has the ability to A. Learn from others and B. Think for himself.
    Qualities allowed or nurtured in the US? Leaders of men or men who are in a position of leadership?

(Anything with a yank voice over reminds me of a 'Police squad' sketch and holds as much value as a tampon advert).
  4. Gents,

Apologies for the WaaaaH! but you've seen something I haven't; in Germany, on the piss, no real access to TV.

Explain the story??

5. I have no doubt about that my lord, but I just feel that we spend a incredibly large amount of time drawing lines on maps for range work when we should be focussing getting to the battle and operating in different environment employing all weapon system available. I believe that we have our focus wrong and having watched the video it does seem to me that although I am proud to be an Infantry Officer in the belief that a British Officer is the finest thing in the world, we are missing a trick during the training of YO's
  6. Joker, a question. Where does a young Inf officer do most of his 'training'? On a course or back in the Bn?

Walk before running and a sound foundation in the basics must be better than the 'Hollywood' method employed by our brothers across the pond?

As a platoon commander, which weapons are you refering to?
  7. Granted that the norm is that the Inf Officer actually learns to do his job in battalion. But my point is that we seem to focus very little on the core skills that an Infantry Officer should have. I.e. he should be fit, should be able to navigate, should know the weapons system at his disposal and their capabilities, should be confident in tactics from Fire team upwards and he should be professionally competent before arriving at the battalion.

I liked the fact that my first Platoon Sergeant was there to help and support me as a newbie, more so the fact that we were deploying two weeks later. I just wished at the time I had been perhaps more focussed or perhaps more wise to Peace Support operations (in this case) rather then knowing how to put together a 5.56mm stage 4 and 5 Range.

Telic 4 showed that platoon commanders were being delegated the use of air support missions, perhaps the exception rather then norm, but with the Mission Command being at the fore front of the planning cycle, and exposure to the use of perhaps calling in fire mission from either artillery support or Integral Mortar Support (again as an example), use of snipers and anti tank weapons. Even if it was enough exposure that we knew how to include the assets in our plans.

I take your point that we listen to those more in the know of the kit then we personally are. But to at least have a concept of how to best use the kit cannot be a bad thing surely??
  8. Further to the above it seems we are transgressing onto the subject that is being covered in another post under YO training for Ops.
  9. Good point. However, there is currently a tampon advert in which a woman plugs a leak in a row boat with one, saving the day. That would seem to be some value.....
  10. Planning? Air assets? Snipers..that's so ungentlemanly you might as well be a bloody boche! "Two up, bags of smoke" that's all you need, harummph, did I take my blue pill today? When I was at the School there was polo three times a day followed by stick drill in side-hats..mission command? Autragstaktik? I didn't fight the Nazis for that sort of gibberish to be pushed down ordinary decent Englishmen's throats..."

"Come along Brigadier, they are just starting a game of cribbage inthe conservatory.."
  11. May be I am missing something, but most of what these guys learned seem to have been taught to all of us at RMAS. I understand (being a drop short) that PCBC refines and reteaches certain aspects, but the basicsa are just that.

However to our credit, we do not need to read a pam to know what our squad members are up to!!!