US Army looking for armed recon helicopter

I spent seven years working for the Defence Sales Organisation MM.

Well aware of the difficulties involved in getting any First Tier armed forces to look past the 'Not Made Here' issue.

My KP, probably poorly expressed, was that USFOR have not barred non-US equipment from their service - just made the route extremely difficult :)

Any defense company looking to sell into the U.S has to automatically present itself as 'Made in USA' to stand an earthly.

Incidentally @LJONESY the US adopted the Italian manufactured and designed M9 pistol following an extensive competition in 1986.

They are about to adopt the Swiss-designed and manufactured Sig-Sauer P320 (Thread derailment - LINKY - apologies to the OP )

Fast-forward to the 20th century. In 1949, the SIG P49, the forerunner of the SIG P210, was developed for the Swiss Army and destined to become a legend on the battlefield as well as the competition field. That same year, the P220 made its appearance as the new pistol for the army, soon followed by the compact P230 for the Swiss police. These pistols offered new features and levels of reliability never before seen in the industry.

By the 1970s, SIG’s small arms division was expanding to include Hämmerli Target Arms from Lenzburg, Switzerland, and J.P. Sauer & Sohn, GmbH, of Eckernförde, West Germany, known worldwide for their hunting rifles. In the 1980s, SIG set its sights on the United States of America. The American market was a vital part of SIG’s business plan to continue to expand its market share and become an international leader in the small arms industry.

January of 1985 marked the birth date of SIGARMS®, Inc.

SIGARMS, then located in Tyson’s Corner, Virginia, imported the P220® and the P230. SIGARMS moved to a larger location in Herndon, Virginia in 1987 and introduced the P225 in 9mm followed by the P226® and P228 in 9mm.

Looking to increase market share and begin manufacturing, SIGARMS moved to its present location in Exeter, New Hampshire , in 1990.

In 1992, SIG began production of the P229® in .40 S&W. Besides importing the SIG Sauer line of pistols, SIGARMS offered customer service from highly qualified gunsmiths in the reputable service department and state-of-the-art training at a separate training facility on 128 acres in Epping, New Hampshire. SIGARMS continued to expand its firearm lines with the Sauer rifle line and the Hämmerli line of target pistols and rifles. In 1996, the SIGARMS Training Academy moved to its current location in Epping, New Hampshire.

A highly succesful Swiss company,with a US based footprint since 1985.....alles klaar alles?
A mate of mind has a microchip design company.

he's got a sales desk with one agent in silicon valley. It's how it is.

Thing is thoouh there was an aerospace defence thunk tank called Avpro based at Farnborough in the late 90s and they came up with s lotmof interesting concepts for future warplanes and UAV/ UCAV

A lot of it was published in books called X Planes, and Warplanes In The Future...

In X Planes, lots of writings rendering of what is to be f-35 , Tempest and other futuristic stuff based in DoD DARPA, then DERA, QinetiQ concepts.

One side lavender the drawing board and that was the EXINT Pod for CSAr / PRV, EXfil/ INFIl to be mounted on WAH-64D or even Harrier GR7

One of their published concepts was the RAH66 carrying one in AAC colours as you remember the Comanche was a contender for the AH program in 94.

Cheers
View attachment 371612
5022B21C-EEF8-4653-AEAE-CAB1F1A76C8E.jpeg

Déja vu. All over again...

Edit: On thread: Rooivalk. Doesn’t really meet the spec, but the ability to fly backwards @80kts while your gunner continues to deliver good news appeals to me.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nope, heard it had some big issues that needed to be fixed most ASAP. I will find one eventually

The Army is working to fix problems with its new handgun after critical DoD report
always good to look behind the headlines ( and to bear in mind whether the source of the item has an axe to grind)

“To my knowledge, no small arm fielded by the military has passed from the testing to the issuing phase without issues,” Bahde said.
Bahde, who reviewed the four-page DOT&E report, also qualified his responses by saying that to best understand the issues listed, he would have to view the tests in person or through video recordings.

back in March 2014, attended Heli Expo in Disney’s doorstep in Anaheim so I like thousand or so attendees and exhibitors saw Sikorsky S-97 Raider mock up.

This mock is still doing the rounds at various conventions such as Quaf A etc , even though actual S-97 prototype is different namely for the position of the u/c and slightly longer tailboom.

9A532040-7684-4567-83E0-BBA6B96B39D5.jpeg
766A5E1A-9F3B-440C-BE93-75FA95F63610.jpeg
D7DA877F-C2F6-4587-B867-CE1887C4D65E.jpeg
0D011A9F-DED1-450B-B374-3F70871975B4.jpeg
F52633C6-4504-4460-92D2-FE30CB1F19F4.jpeg

always good to look behind the headlines ( and to bear in mind whether the source of the item has an axe to grind)

“To my knowledge, no small arm fielded by the military has passed from the testing to the issuing phase without issues,” Bahde said.
Bahde, who reviewed the four-page DOT&E report, also qualified his responses by saying that to best understand the issues listed, he would have to view the tests in person or through video recordings.
Yes, but the double ejection of live rounds does tend to be a worrisome issue. You can get the Civ version for about 650 bucks give or take. But the last thing I need at this moment is another 9mm.

1547407235435.jpeg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ahem...

1553267119434.jpeg

And throw into the mix .....MD Helicopters offering a winged / compound version of the MD902.

HAI: MD Helicopters developing winged MD902 as US Army scout

Earlier in the month with my adventures in Atlanta with Heli Expo ;) here are my photos of MDH MD969 Combat Explorer. Shades of their entry into the US Army Light Utlity Helicopter competition 15 years ago when they lost

View attachment 385425 View attachment 385426 View attachment 385427 View attachment 385428 View attachment 385430 View attachment 385433 View attachment 385434
View attachment 385435 View attachment 385436
Is that last photo you? The large gnarly hands sort of ruin whatever effect the rest of the outfit was supposed to achieve. :cool:

Last edited:
back in March 2014, attended Heli Expo in Disney’s doorstep in Anaheim so I like thousand or so attendees and exhibitors saw Sikorsky S-97 Raider mock up.

This mock is still doing the rounds at various conventions such as Quaf A etc , even though actual S-97 prototype is different namely for the position of the u/c and slightly longer tailboom.

View attachment 371722 View attachment 371723 View attachment 371724 View attachment 371725 View attachment 371727
Why has it got three gear stick thingies in the second photo?
Does it have three drivers sitting in the front?

Latest Threads