US Army Int Analyst leaks 260,000 PM docs - arrested

The BBC have the video which was leaked. It is quite horrific and so stereotypically "yank". Gung Ho language, flippancy etc. Then the "Oh Sh*t" moment when they realise kids are in the van... 8O

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10265430.stm

Funnily enough I stumbled on this by accident.

REMFQuestions said:
The BBC have the video which was leaked. It is quite horrific and so stereotypically "yank". Gung Ho language, flippancy etc. Then the "Oh Sh*t" moment when they realise kids are in the van... 8O

Did YOU ever have to fire your Weapon in combat and did you make that decision based on complete knowledge of everything around the enemy?

Or play WoW on the TOC Computer all shift?

Goldbricker said:
REMFQuestions said:

Did YOU ever have to fire your Weapon in combat and did you make that decision based on complete knowledge of everything around the enemy?

I never mistook a Reuters reporter for an insurgent that's for sure, and I certainly never brassed him up from an ISTAR platform including his cameraman and kids. I am not sure about the US policy but we have pretty strict targeting rules and engaging a van simply for "appearing" in the ops box is not one of them. Certainly not when said van was clearly in an urban area and pattern of life suggests frequent automobile traffic.

It's not like two cars rocked up at a meet in an abandoned warehouse is it? Broad daylight on a town street. I assume you are familiar with the term corroboration?

And if I did do all of that - I definitely doubt I would be bragging over the radio net about it.

So what exactly is your point? This incident was not a rifleman on the ground in the heat of battle. It was a targeting op and is subject to stringent laws.

REMFQuestions said:
Goldbricker said:
REMFQuestions said:

I never mistook a Reuters reporter for an insurgent that's for sure, and I certainly never brassed him up from an ISTAR platform including his cameraman and kids. I am not sure about the US policy but we have pretty strict targeting rules and engaging a van simply for "appearing" in the ops box is not one of them. Certainly not when said van was clearly in an urban area and pattern of life suggests frequent automobile traffic.

It's not like two cars rocked up at a meet in an abandoned warehouse is it? Broad daylight on a town street. I assume you are familiar with the term corroboration?

And if I did do all of that - I definitely doubt I would be bragging over the radio net about it.

So what exactly is your point? This incident was not a rifleman on the ground in the heat of battle. It was a targeting op and is subject to stringent laws.
So the answer is you were never in a Position to use your weapon. You were never in a place were you had to make such a decision without all the facts.

I so Love you armchair commandos who spout about how it should be done or How I would do it who never have. You honestly think they could tell there were children in that Vehicle which drove into the fight, Before having to make a decision ? By the way are you still one of those deluded souls who thinks there weren't weapons among that group?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Goldbricker said:
REMFQuestions said:
Goldbricker said:
REMFQuestions said:

So the answer is you were never in a Position to use your weapon. You were never in a place were you had to make such a decision without all the facts.

I so Love you armchair commandos who spout about how it should be done or How I would do it who never have. You honestly think they could tell there were children in that Vehicle which drove into the fight, Before having to make a decision ? By the way are you still one of those deluded souls who thinks there weren't weapons among that group?

I think you're being a touch harsh on our friend here, Goldbricker. He makes the point that it wasn't a case of a rifleman under the stress of combat making a split-second decision, but a stand-off operation conducted under very strict RoE - which would appear from the video to have been anything but either strict or discriminate. Whether you like REMFetc or not, I sense he's been in equivalent positions and involved in equivalent decisions.

I remember a similar case of one of our own back in 82 when a very immature young Lance Corporal called "Spider" thought he could get away with passing on stuff to be shredded to the Soviet Embassy. (for those of you born after 82, the Soviets became Russians in the 90s). Was this young SPC (around the same rank I am thinking) not supervised properly ? By the way - I think Spider only got four years and a very sore bum !

We got told in training that that young lad wandered into the Embassy with the docs and they (smelling a setup) promptly called the police. RUMINT said he asked for enough money to buy a MINI Cooper.

Any truth?

Not quite true, but the basics are there. He placed an ad in the personal column of the Telegraph or Times using the name Spider and inviting the Sovs to contact him and was apparently a bit taken aback when a reply appeared a few days later signed Love Mum. It was already being monitored by Box and MPSB.

Believe he wanted to buy a second hand car though.

Unfortunately, we were banned from attending the trial but I know that SCIT (A) attended.

Latest Threads