US Army gets first female General

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by DavidBOC, Jun 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. President Nominates Woman Army General for Fourth Star
    By John J. Kruzel
    American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, June 23, 2008 – President Bush today nominated Army Lt. Gen. Ann E. Dunwoody for promotion, which, pending Senate approval, would make her the first woman to be a four-star officer in U.S. history.

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates announced the president’s nomination of Dunwoody as the commander of Army Materiel Command at Fort Belvoir, Va., in a news release published today by the Defense Department.

Dunwoody, who has served in several command positions since her Army commission in 1975, including her current role as the Army’s deputy chief of staff for logistics, is one of five women now fulfilling three-star flag officer duties.

In 1970, Col. Anna Mae Hays blazed the trail when she became chief of the Army Nurse Corps, achieving the highest rank -- brigadier general -- of any woman servicemember at the time. But as Dunwoody’s pending promotion underscores, the role of women in the U.S. military has expanded significantly since then.

Fifty-seven active-duty women and 47 female reservists wear stars on their shoulders in the armed forces. Moreover, roughly 194,000 women make up 14 percent of all active duty forces. Since Sept. 11, 2001, more than 193,400 women have deployed in support of U.S. operations.

The casualty figures of current conflicts provide a thumbnail sketch of a force structure that increasingly depends on women in combat zones. Ninety-seven women have died in Iraq, and 585 others have suffered injuries there, according to Defense Department statistics.

If confirmed by the Senate, Dunwoody would command the teams of soldiers, civilians and contractors responsible for providing materiel readiness and development, new technology, acquisition support and logistics.
  2. First female general?

That is quiet the stretch.
    Gen. Ann E. Dunwoody might be the first four star but hardly the first female general.

This female general comes to mind.

3. Devil Dog:

Sorry, you might not be familiar with US military ranks.

General, unmodified, means 4 star rank (O-10)
    Lieutenant General means 3 star rank (O-9)
    Major General means 2 star rank (O-8)
    Brigadier General means 1 star rank (O-7)

For reference:
    click here

She may not be the first BG, MG or LtGen but she is the first General.

Good for her! I wish her well.
  4. Well done the US of A. Only 1948 years behind Britain. >>clicky<< :wink:
  5. Plus, admittedly, H.M. Elizabeth, By the Grace of God......etc has been Commander in Chief since 1952
  6. DavidBOC. Dont humour him, he has the oxygen thief tag for a reason! The majority of Brits on ARRSE who have worked with the US military will know how your system works.

The British Army has a long way to go in this respect. I think that our senior female is still only a 1 star, though I am open to correction on this.
  7. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Although I agree with others here on DD, I'm still unsure what your trying to say here, as Lt. General C. J. Kennedy was the first female to reach Flag rank and become a General in the US Army.
  8. Well done to her.

Sadly any promotion at that level is politytical and not on merit or balls.

Much like the UK system.

Maybe some officers should be schooled in the shoes of Monty and dozens of british officers who stood above the parrapit and "commited political suicide" by speaking the truth.

If anyone has the time to watch UK History on the tv Eisenhower turns out to be a politcal puppet and through his orders (stop fighting) helped Stalin creat the "IRON CURTAIN".

The question must be asked if that Nazi lover kennedy promised to finance the presidency that eisenhower was looking for.

NO its not off thread. Any promotion in the US is political.

9. Thanks Trippy. I have always known I could count on you when times are hard and rough.

Next thing you know, these Limeys will be mourning the fact that we haven't had any Field Marshalls in years.
  10. Ok,

Big rufty tufty dudes. The biggest threat in your lives would be a wife with a pair of Smith and Wessons, let alone a female C.O. with a Dick !

11. Last time I checked, a female C.O. with a dick would be a Commanding Ol'Dick or as common parlance would have it, a transvestite.

Josey, just so you know, we don't traffic in that kind of s.hit.
  12. TripWire:

Your question was:

Sorry if I was unclear. What I was trying to say was that the President had nominated the first woman General (i.e. O-10) as opposed to a Lieut General, Major General or Brigadier General.

I believe Lieutenant General Kennedy was the second woman 3 star, not the first and that LtGen Carol Mutter USMC was appointed about a year earlier. Kennedy retired as a LtGen and never made it to General.

By the way, until recently I would have made the same mistake as you, referring to her as a Flag Officer. (Being a Navy husband for 22 years vs. my two in green has slanted my terminology towards squid speak).

However about two weeks ago I was having dinner with a friend who is a General and he explained that Flag Officer is USN, USMC, USCG, (also USPHS and NOAA) terminology and that Army and USAF use the term General Officer. Being a General, I presme that he knows a lot more about the Army than me.

An article I read recently stated that there are about 50 odd female Flag/General officers on Active Duty with DoD and about another 40 odd in reserves. USCG has at least one woman RADM that I know of. Both USPHS and NOAA are small services (6,000 and 300 respectively). I do know of a couple of women among the 10 to 12 USPHS Flag Officers. The only NOAA Flag Officer is a male RADM.

To clarify for British Arrsers, The US Public Health Service has a commissioned officer corp that is not part of Defense but are commissioned and subject to Uiform Code of Military Justice. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has a very small commissioned corps (300 now, about 600 pre-Clinton cutbacks) that does things like ocean mapping and flying P-3 Orions through hurricanes.