US army ditches Velcro from its uniforms

Do the US Army have the intelligence to use anything else??

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
R

really?_fascinating

Here's us being oh so smug, remember we have only just introduced velcro, five years after the US!

really?_fascinating said:
Here's us being oh so smug, remember we have only just introduced velcro, five years after the US!
We had velcro fasteners on combat kit back in 1978 if I remember well.

A

armadillo

I thought the velcro was so that the bloods and crips knew what their regulation hair length was meant to be, ouch my wife just punched me that was not politically correct, looks like its dinner for one tonight....

JJ123 said:
They're only removing it from their trouser pockets, it's not like they're binning it completely.
I think your right this it what i read

Its interesting that the USMC never really went for velcro and lots of stick on badges. Buttons were always good enough for them.

DAKOTA_STAB said:
to be fair, its got to be better than sewing badges to everything
I'm sure they're refering to velcro you would use at critical times, ie when you're meant to be tactical such at on pockets and down the front of jackets. I don't think changing brigade flashes etc is exactly vital when the enemy is close enough to hear you changing them.

thought the velcro was so that the bloods and crips knew what their regulation hair length was meant to be, ouch my wife just punched me that was not politically correct, looks like its dinner for one tonight....
5Alpha will be spinning in his "hood" when he reads that!

Hook and Pile tape, as "Velcro" is trademarked.

But this is what happens when you test the new uniform with Tankers and Stryker crews instead of regular Infantry. I sewed mine down years ago as they were worthless for carrying anything in them, cut the bungee cord out as well.
Sewed down the USArmy, Name tape, Rank, Unit Insignia after the first year where weekly I had patches coming off, Regualtions be damned.

Goldbricker said:

But this is what happens when you test the new uniform with Tankers and Stryker crews instead of regular Infantry. I sewed mine down years ago as they were worthless for carrying anything in them, cut the bungee cord out as well.
Sewed down the USArmy, Name tape, Rank, Unit Insignia after the first year where weekly I had patches coming off, Regualtions be damned.
Probably deliberate to ensure that contracts were awarded . . .

cupoftea said:
Goldbricker said:

Probably deliberate to ensure that contracts were awarded . . .
Could well be, I'm sure someone made a fortune on them. Even the Pattern was a quandry. You could see new units in Iraq at least 500-1000M away compared to the DCU. I've yet to meet anyone who liked them

A

armadillo

auscam said:
armadillo said:
my wife just punched me that was not politically correct, looks like its dinner for one tonight....
And change your avatar to 'My wife's watching me' :D
MI5/MI6/MI9/CIA/STASI have nothing on my wife and her techniques, she insists on me using a velcro wallet, just so she knows when its being opened...

Mrs A here stop giving him ideas!
:rose: