US Army Alaska Soldier killed in bear attack

rustypilgrim

Old-Salt
What used to get me in Florida was when it was tourist season, “ah look love, an alligator go stand there so I can get a photo”. They look like they are huge lumbering things. The truth is they can go from a sloth like stillness to 15mph in the blink of an eye. Even Disney used to do regular patrols and checks of its lakes, and yet a gator got in and took that kiddy a while back.
I was on ex in Pensacola / Eglin AFB in the 80's. Spent 2 days wading waist/chest deep pushing a bergan raft. The problem was stepping on sunken branches which rotated and another branch would whack you mid thigh with no warning. Never so happy to get out of water in my life!

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt
Not long after I moved to Florida, I was mowing the “yard” which went down to a canal. I had to mow around the Alligator which was sunning itself on the bank, and then when I bumped into a small tree, a 6 foot snake fell out of it onto the mower. I remember thinking there was a day when I thought wasps on your iced-lolly at the pub was a wildlife problem.

P.S. It was about a 6 foot (baby) ‘gator, but my metric for the size of a ‘gator is to picture it hanging from your right testicle, now tell me it’s not big.

P.P.S. I quickly learned that I was the wrong kind of immigrant to be mowing my own grass.

Not long after I moved to Florida, I was mowing the “yard” which went down to a canal. I had to mow around the Alligator which was sunning itself on the bank, and then when I bumped into a small tree, a 6 foot snake fell out of it onto the mower. I remember thinking there was a day when I thought wasps on your iced-lolly at the pub was a wildlife problem.

P.S. It was about a 6 foot (baby) ‘gator, but my metric for the size of a ‘gator is to picture it hanging from your right testicle, now tell me it’s not big.

P.P.S. I quickly learned that I was the wrong kind of immigrant to be mowing my own grass.
Was on Ex Aurora back in 2004/5, 4 x CR2 using Albion as our base, was not HP moving around camp Lujuene exercise area and having to park up at night in the swampy woods, all sorts moving around and dropping into the panzers roof. We never got off the Panzer at night, NEVER!

Was on Ex Aurora back in 2004/5, 4 x CR2 using Albion as our base, was not HP moving around camp Lujuene exercise area and having to park up at night in the swampy woods, all sorts moving around and dropping into the panzers roof. We never got off the Panzer at night, NEVER!

MARSOC are centralising over in Camp Lejeune for a few reasons, mainly to do with the high cost of living in California. A couple of blokes on the shooting circuit are seriously whingeing about the move, planning on staying in California - wether as a civvy, or marine. The reason is that they don't like the swamp life that lives over on the east coast.

Talking of dangling from testicles. I hate using those building site style porta potties over here because you never know what has taken up residence in the liquid that is directly under your arrse in the crapper. In Florida if you kick the crapper and have a look you will generally get lizard, and rodents swimming around. I took up only peeing in them rather than taking a dump after a dit from a few people at the gun club in Florida. One of the members went in to take a dump in one of the porta potties dotted around. Apparently a couple of minutes later he came screaming out of the door with a rat snake firmly attached to his ball bag.

Had a rattler on the 100m range one morning........made for exciting target practice for a few minutes.

Last edited:
I read some where that the American injuns greatest fear was death by grizzly bear, as they said it would start to rip chunks off and eat you didn't matter if you were still alive whilst they were dining on you.

From what I read later, the soldier and a couple of his buddies got too close to a bear den without knowing what it was and the bear attacked.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
******* Belize. Everytime I lifted my bergan, scorpions..every time I shoogled my boots, scorpions.. thank **** for hammocks, which I kept falling out of as I would wake up in the pitch black screaming my lungs out (Thanks, Larium).

We did sever river crossings with Gurkha's on guard with live ammo on croc watch. One of the teams doing a crossing held back to let the big log float by..the big log with eyes.

We bashad up along the riverbank one night, pleased we'd found a relatively clear spot. DD comes by in the morning:
'You know you've just slept in a (thankfully vacated) crocodile nest?'

******* jungle. ******* never again.

******* Belize. Everytime I lifted my bergan, scorpions..every time I shoogled my boots, scorpions.. thank **** for hammocks, which I kept falling out of as I would wake up in the pitch black screaming my lungs out (Thanks, Larium).

We did sever river crossings with Gurkha's on guard with live ammo on croc watch. One of the teams doing a crossing held back to let the big log float by..the big log with eyes.

We bashad up along the riverbank one night, pleased we'd found a relatively clear spot. DD comes by in the morning:
'You know you've just slept in a (thankfully vacated) crocodile nest?'

******* jungle. ******* never again.

I did a stint up in Cadenas OP which wasn't bad as we were pretty much left alone up there. Punta Fecking Gorda though I hated.

Latest Threads