US Army Alaska Soldier killed in bear attack

A U.S. Army soldier died after he was attacked by a wild bear at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage, Alaska, the base announced in a news statement.

The soldier, who was not being identified while next of kin was notified, was part of a small group training west of the Anchorage Regional Landfill, where Tuesday's attack occurred.

The Army used to issue Ruger M77 Bolt Actions in .375 H&H magnum for bear guard(s)

Springtime and this scheme is on/next to a landfill? In Alaska?

PPP I would say.

Poor sod.
So I dare say Ex co-ord will be in for a bit of a grilling as to what part of the plan was a bit dodgy.

So I dare say Ex co-ord will be in for a bit of a grilling as to what part of the plan was a bit dodgy.

I will bow to the wisdom of @Goldbricker but, in my experience, unlike euroland there are not too many elves doing risk assessments over here. I have been more or less laughed at when pointing out safety infringements on construction sites I have visited.

And, if they have been holding exercises in the same location ad infinitum that will go across the desk, along with the fact that it is, after all, bear country.

All that aside, RIP soldier.

I will bow to the wisdom of @Goldbricker but, in my experience, unlike euroland there are not too many elves doing risk assessments over here. I have been more or less laughed at when pointing out safety infringements on construction sites I have visited.
fair call, just wondered if that as Big F off and hungry yogi bears are abound in those parts of the world any ex Co-ord had to take that into account when knocking up an Ex MEL.

NSP

LE
The soldier, who was not being identified while next of kin was notified, was part of a small group training west of the Anchorage Regional Landfill, where Tuesday's attack occurred.
Notwithstanding his tragic death the grammar police need to have a stern word with the author of the article!!

fair call, just wondered if that as Big F off and hungry yogi bears are abound in those parts of the world any ex Co-ord had to take that into account when knocking up an Ex MEL.

Bears, coyotes, rattle snakes, scorpions, poisonous spiders, various types of wildcat, coyotes and wolves. Loads of them around in many parts, it is accepted and individuals account for it. For example, anyone with any commonsense who lives in Florida treats every stretch of open water as if there is a 20 foot long alligator lurking under the surface, that is along with the bears lurking in the tree lines. Pennsylvania me delving around the woods thinking ooooh how pretty, six months later I find out there are rattle snakes. You just switch on to keeping your eyes open, looking for bitey and poisonous things.

They will probably receive a wildlife briefing when they go to Alaska and that will count as a H&S awareness for all legal intents and purposes. Bears can turn up anywhere, and alligators end up in swimming pools regularly, it happens, just like my neighbour shotgunned a rattler laying on his driveway soaking up the morning sun. I recall an exercise in Florida where a navy SEAL team was taking a route through the swamps and one of them lost a leg to a gator.

Bears, coyotes, rattle snakes, scorpions, poisonous spiders, various types of wildcat, coyotes and wolves. Loads of them around in many parts, it is accepted and individuals account for it. For example, anyone with any commonsense who lives in Florida treats every stretch of open water as if there is a 20 foot long alligator lurking under the surface, that is along with the bears lurking in the tree lines. Pennsylvania me delving around the woods thinking ooooh how pretty, six months later I find out there are rattle snakes. You just switch on to keeping your eyes open, looking for bitey and poisonous things.

They will probably receive a wildlife briefing when they go to Alaska and that will count as a H&S awareness for all legal intents and purposes. Bears can turn up anywhere, and alligators end up in swimming pools regularly, it happens, just like my neighbour shotgunned a rattler laying on his driveway soaking up the morning sun. I recall an exercise in Florida where a navy SEAL team was taking a route through the swamps and one of them lost a leg to a gator.
Brings back memories of Belize and the brief before 6 weeks in the Jungle, instructor wheels out a fer-de-lance snake in a jar (fcuker was dead thank F) he then happily told us how deadly it was and that it will actively hunt you! was not overly HP on that note.

Brings back memories of Belize and the brief before 6 weeks in the Jungle, instructor wheels out a fer-de-lance snake in a jar (fcuker was dead thank F) he then happily told us how deadly it was and that it will actively hunt you! was not overly HP on that note.
I fckkng HATE the Belizian jungle. Burn it down. Pave it.

I fckkng HATE the Belizian jungle. Burn it down. Pave it.
It sucked, Guatemala bridge area was IMHO the the pits, worse than Borneo, I found out there that big fcuk off hairy spiders can jump FFS! first time I saw a Tarantula almost as big as my hand spring through the air I almost had a fit, was not HP at all.

It sucked, Guatemala bridge area was IMHO the the pits, worse than Borneo, I found out there that big fcuk off hairy spiders can jump FFS! first time I saw a Tarantula almost as big as my hand spring through the air I almost had a fit, was not HP at all.
We were sitting in camp, our first night, getting our orientation lecture…tarantula crosses right behind us, guys start moving away, Instructor yells at us to “ignore it! It’s not going to hurt you!”

”Eff You. I’ll move if I want!”

Hated shaking these fckrs out of my boots and gear. They jump. And then…the snakes. And Hornets. And...

PTSD kicking in. Time for a Margarita or two.

We were sitting in camp, our first night, getting our orientation lecture…tarantula crosses right behind us, guys start moving away, Instructor yells at us to “ignore it! It’s not going to hurt you!”

”Eff You. I’ll move if I want!”

Hated shaking these fckrs out of my boots and gear. They jump. And then…the snakes. And Hornets. And...

PTSD kicking in. Time for a Margarita or two.
We all know that sleeping 'belt order' only in the 'J' is not fun, well we decided to go one better, Night time ambush, Para cord guide wire out to the ambush location, day light recce, move in at last light and lay still until time to spring said ambush, no worries, claymores were set out and all connected, cut offs in place and killing group all hyped up and ready to go, it's all set, then one of the cut offs jumps up and starts to scream like a banshee, a tarantula had feel out of a b'stard tree onto his back and started to crawl all over him, he had managed to lay still until he felt its' front legs on the back of his neck, job done end ex, poor bugger.

Same with cotton mouth snakes, big nasty fcukers that come at you. Rattlers, on the other hand, are somewhat dopey I watched one loose on the ground with a keeper wearing all the gear deliberately trying to make it bite him. he was crowding it, pushing it with his foot and generally giving it abuse. Unless they have had a bad day, or you more or less directly stand on one they move away.

Florida has a huge python problem where some escaped from an exotics warehouse during a hurricane and bred like, errrrrrr rabbits. Word is that some dipstick snake people have let cobras escape too and they are happily having babies and have been spotted as far north as southern Georgia.

Snake season has started now in HK, particularly now that we have had some heavy rains and the frogs are out in force. Makes walking the dog just that bit more interesting.
Here is a bamboo pit viper outside my door a couple of years ago. Nasty, bitey, camouflagey feckers that are responsible for over 90% of bites in HK

bpv.jpg

Snake season has started now in HK, particularly now that we have had some heavy rains and the frogs are out in force. Makes walking the dog just that bit more interesting.
Here is a bamboo pit viper outside my door a couple of years ago. Nasty, bitey, camouflagey feckers that are responsible for over 90% of bites in HK

View attachment 662591

Must be reet nasty basrstewards if its not in a cooking pot over there...

View attachment 662591
Their cousin the Malay Pit Viper is common in the area where I live although I have only seen dead ones (on the road) so far. They are known as Thai Land Mines.

rustypilgrim

Old-Salt
I'd prefer to take my chances with spiders & snakes rather than the risk of being ripped apart, and potentially eaten alive by a bloody big bear (or crocodiles, sharks, lions and tigers oh my)!.

I'd prefer to take my chances with spiders & snakes rather than the risk of being ripped apart, and potentially eaten alive by a bloody big bear (or crocodiles, sharks, lions and tigers oh my)!.
Wizard of Oz/Judy Garland Walt!

What used to get me in Florida was when it was tourist season, “ah look love, an alligator go stand there so I can get a photo”. They look like they are huge lumbering things. The truth is they can go from a sloth like stillness to 15mph in the blink of an eye. Even Disney used to do regular patrols and checks of its lakes, and yet a gator got in and took that kiddy a while back.

Latest Threads