US Army adopts Cavalry Stetson Hat as Standard Head gear

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
U.S. Army said:
[WASHINGTON, APRIL 1, 2011 -- In a fingertip-to-the-brim nod to its American frontier history, the Army is changing hats again - returning to the tumultuous days of the horse Cavalry in the wild west and adopting a dark blue Stetson as the official headgear for the current force of 1.1 million Soldiers.
Stetson hat to be new Army standard headgear
Yeee Haaaaa

The date today is 1 April.

As ever, their sense of humour shines through and they don't work very hard to ensure people are fooled for very long!

Reminder of the Army stable belt that was featured in Soldier a few years ago - we had an ex CO who fell for it hook line and sinker, became very agitated he wasn't going to be able to wear his beloved regimental one any longer

I hear you pongo's are re-adopting the Pith Helmet for much the same reasons?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Maybe we should re-claim the slouch hat from those pesky colonials:

slim1.gif

BTB Good to see the US Army has a sense of humour. It's sometimes very uptight about uniforms etc

As ever, their sense of humour shines through and they don't work very hard to ensure people are fooled for very long!

Reminder of the Army stable belt that was featured in Soldier a few years ago - we had an ex CO who fell for it hook line and sinker, became very agitated he wasn't going to be able to wear his beloved regimental one any longer
I remember that, it was rainbow coloured so it didnt look aggressive and designed by some french bloke/bird called Avril. The letters page got quite a few letters from the outraged, but didnt print their names.
I think thats the only time they have ever got a major reaction to a wind up.

Shame they gave the game away at the very end. I'd have liked to have seen some reaction.

[video=youtube;pf4nDbStqXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf4nDbStqXU[/video]

It was identified as a very obvious fake as soon as it was released because it made sense and would have been popular. Automatic disqualifier for credibility.

NTM

Yes.

The 11th ACR unit insignia used to show a 'fully-equipped' stallion.

The current patch, not so much.

Some of us prefer the old version.

NTM

It was identified as a very obvious fake as soon as it was released because it made sense and would have been popular. Automatic disqualifier for credibility.

NTM
Ahh, but you're wearing the 1889 Campaign Hat, the typical US Army "Stetson is Dark Blue and based on the 1855 "Hardee Hat" with Hollywood modifications.

Ahh, but you're wearing the 1889 Campaign Hat, the typical US Army "Stetson is Dark Blue and based on the 1855 "Hardee Hat" with Hollywood modifications.
The 1872 and 1876 hats were blue, and looked closer to today's 'stetsons' than the Hardee hats. 11th ACR was formed in 1901, after the US Army had moved away from blue field uniforms. The unit never historically wore the dark blue one, so the official headgear of the regiment is the brown.

It's sold by the Regimental shop as a 1901 pattern, but I can't figure out if that's just date of wear, an official Army-sanctioned pattern, or just a regimental one. It looks closer to the 1899, but doesn't have the two vents.

NTM

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
cavalry.jpg

Off topic but what are the boots he is wearing? They look like high leg desert jodhpur boots.
ps-BSSA-2943.gif

Well you cant get much more ally than a stetson.

nclk?&url=http:%2F%2Fthecia.com.au%2Freviews%2Fa%2Fimages%2Fapocalypse-now-3.jpg

"Remember the Alamo!"

I hear you pongo's are re-adopting the Pith Helmet for much the same reasons?
You really are taking the pith now arent you - we know its only the maureens that wear one now.