Us and them syndrome

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bedpan2zero, Nov 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I joined the TA in 1987 - since then ive been in the Regs and back in the TA again.

Back in 87 the devide between TA and Reg was quite severe, with the old phrases of STABS and ARABS being heard quiet frequently

Now, we are in the 21st century - and its still a case of Us and Them.

2. Habit? Misconceptions? Ignorance? Jealousy? Actions of a few?

Take your pick.
  3. Banter?

Or shall we get a quango to outlaw all such remarks that may upset someone?

I would suggest the TA is much more 'integrated' and involved with the Regs now than it ever was.

It's just a name after all. :wink:
  4. More integrated yeah, but you're still not regs so there'll always be a you and us attitude. Its not a bad thing.
  5. It'll still be the same in the 25th century.

It's akin to 'cap badge' rivalry. It builds a sense of belonging to one organisation or another. It's just the way the services work. Whether thats RAF v Army, Inf v Tankies, A Coy v B Coy, 6 Pl v 5 Pl etc...etc...etc. So long as its generally healthy, it should not be discouraged. When it gets to the stage where unit effectiveness breaks down, thats when it should be stamped on.

I doubt very much a Reg would make a decision to protect a mukka based on whether he was TA or Reg or vice versa.
  6. If it wasn't for the TA the regular army would be out in Iraq more often than they are and any one from our unit has been made very welcome in any unit they were attached to then after all we are the Royal Signals :roll:
  7. Not on Ops anyway!
  8. And thats where it's important right?
  9. Cant argue with that one.

I am amused by the insinuation that a reg would have to though.
  10. That's what I'm saying. It wouldnt happen.

So, it's basically banter. Some get it, others don't.

To be honest, I'd rather be a STAB. More time off than Stevie Wonders reading specs.
  11. msr

msr LE

Us and them.

Too right, we are not stupid enough to do it full time.

12. Sactly. ;)
  13. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

And to be frank, I couldn't take the drop in salary anyway.
  14. Comes from the top in my experience. When mobilised or on FTRS it just isn't something I have experienced. However I have spoken to some officers at AMS MCM Div who were very dismissive of the TA to the point of being stupidly rude.

Then the Regs see us not getting pensions, being treated as second class citizens within the army, limited MTD's all as a matter of policy, and they pick up on that. If the army senior management does not really belive in the "one army" system why should they?

A couple of years ago in Soldier some big nob at Land made a statement in reply to a letter by a Ta soldier wanting to join the regs, slating the value of TA courses, qualifications and experience.

Thats the prevaling attitude at the moment and whilst it remains so so too will the STABS and ARABS stupidity of previous years.

I firmly believe the British Army is the best firm in the world, but the management provides only management, in the civvi sense, NOT leadership in the military sense. Until the mangement start believing their own propoganda about there only being one army then no one else will.

15. Boys and girls of Regular and TA origins...grow up or harden your shells. While mobilised or on attachment with the Regular Army I have never suffered anything other than harmless banter.

Why? Because I did the fcking job, got on with it and acted like a human being not a walt or a wannabe. As a result I was often asked back "by invitation" and involved in really interesting soldiering ranging from the very first exercise in Poland (with the live nerve agent pool!) at one level to the Cresta run (thanks QRL) at the other!

Operationally unless you are advertised as TA, it is hard to tell the difference until you let yourself down on the job - or have to ask bone questions like where do I get money??

If some pricq gets on your case about it, bullying styley, then I suggest you tell him to stick his one army concept where the monkey put his nuts and just stag on. Don't whine or whinge about it, just dig in and be the best soldier you can be. It works - better than some edict that TA soldiers mustn't be teased passed down from on high!