US Airforce Reserves

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jan 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

1/14/2010 - Aboard Reach 8191 -- As the sun set over Charleston Air Force Base, Reservists from the 315th Airlift Wing are wheels up headed to McGuire AFB, New Jersey to upload relief supplies then direct to Haiti.

"We're tasked and we go," said Major John Cousins, aircraft commander from the 317th Airlift Squadron. "We need to get these supplies down there safely and fast."

The briefing on board the giant C-17 Globemaster III was all business with some tension as these crew members prepare to head into one of the biggest natural disaster s of this new century.

"We won't have any lights except on the runway and we will be operating in the dark. I want everyone in the windows and looking when we hit the ground," said Major Cousins as he spoke of the dangers this crew will face when flying into Port-au-Prince in the middle of the night.

The men and women on this crew have one thing in mind. Get the vital supplies to the people of Haiti fast. They've seen the television coverage and now it's their job to deliver America's promise of support.

"No one does this better than us. It's what we train for," said Lt. Col. Russ Catanach, 315th Deputy Operations Group Commander as he briefed local media out to cover the aircraft's departure from Charleston.

Loadmasters from the 317th Airlift Squadron readied the aircraft and knew how important this and every AMC mission will be to the people of Haiti.

"I'm just back from Operation Iraqi Freedom and this is a different kind of mission and I'm really proud to do it," said MSgt. Michael Lang as he worked in the cargo bay. "I'm anxious, but it's a different kind of anxious."

This all reserve crew had very short notice and knowing the dire need for these supplies, were ready to make sacrifices to get them to Haiti.

"Every bit helps," said Major Cousins as he and his air crew made preparations for landing in at McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey. "Every jet full of supplies may save lives on the ground."

http://www.charleston.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123185677

2. Wouldn't get that over in the UK

3. I have been on exercise the US with their reserves. The reserves are very much part of the american culture now and very much more supported by the government.
    They get a damm sight more benefits from serving that the TA, RNR, RMR or RAuxAF, but the downside is that a higher proportion of the troops in 'stan are reservists and they are out there for up to 2 years. However, they get far more job security and far better welfare and financial support. The government has it own department of veteran affairs.
    In this country the reserves I talk to feel they are almost 2nd class citizens despite the sacrifices they have made in recent conflicts.

4. When I tell people that i'm in the TA, all I get is "Whats that?".

The US reserves get fair amount of training time and their employers support them as much as possible. The national guard and reserves are advertised throughout the US.

5. msr

msr LE

6. I worked with these guys on Telic 1 in 2003, and they were absolutely outstanding.

7. I trained with some of the american medics when they over in the UK and they were pretty good. The medic training they do actually gets them registered as EMT-Basics.

8. I call septic officer walt! :D

9. Ah, you got me Sanguis! Bang to rights.

But you know, if I were walting, I'd claim association with the SEALs, Delta or the 101st Airborne. Not a bunch of USAF Security Force rednecks from Seattle..... :roll:

10. Whilst this is true, I think it is important to remember that in the US the reserves have a fair larger part in the national psyche than ours do. Let's not forget that the mainstay of the revolutionary forces during the American revolutionary war were militiamen as a result there is far more emotion and national pride tied in with their reserves as they play a significant part in their story of nationhood. Americans seem to have a greater level of national pride, at least they are outwardly so, therefore it probably makes more sense to them (emotionally if not practicably) to support their reserve forces.

The TA, in contrast, is very different. Prior to recent confilcts the majority of instances where the TA were used in conflict were in wars of national survival and it could be argued as a result of this the UK reserve forces are viewed by the general public as only required for that role, i.e. if the Cold War went hot. So it is unsurprising your colleagues din't know what the TA is or that the Americans spend more money and pay more attention to their reserves than we do.

11. msr

msr LE

This late-night flight is just one of hundreds flying in and out of Haiti by U.S. Air Force's Active Duty, Reserve and Guard Airmen since the Jan. 12 earthquake. Pope Air Force Base, N.C., is one of the major staging areas for transporting troops and supplies into the country. In the first 11 days since the earthquake, Pope AFB Airmen airlifted nearly 2,900 soldiers and more than 2,700 tons of cargo and equipment to Haiti in support of Operation Unified Response.

http://www.genmitchell.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123187001