US Airborne Helmet Markings

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Speedy, Feb 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After watching the complete Band of Brothers in HD whilst it was free on Virgins TV on demand service I was always curious about the helmet markings they had. Well, after a quick search I found this rather good guide:

http://www.101airborneww2.com/insignia3.html

What I did notice, which I think was missed out in the BoB series was the 'ticks' that were used to designate individual units along side the main unit markings. Anyway, a bit spotterish, but puts the mind to rest.

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

If you dig deeper into that website he takes Ambroses version of BoB and puts it against the actual records

Very good reading

Oh and wasn't it vertical stripe for NCO's and horizontal for officers on the back of the helmet (or the other way round_

3. If you look closely (spotter here) BoB did indeed have the ticks (or dots) to indicate the battalion (or RHQ) within the regiment. To be fair, the research done by the makers of the TV series was FAR better than that done by Ambrose! They even got the identity (and markings) of the 15/19th Hussars at Nuenen correct.

Officers - vertical stripe. NCOs - horizontal.

4. Reading through the critique of BoB he seems a bit bitter that they didnt come to him, picking up some realy small mistakes, still very interesting and he knows his stuff.

5. the_boy_syrup

He does a bit but reading this and a few other thing I get the impression Ambrosde managed to fukc quite a few people off

6. the_boy_syrup

This was on T.V the other day

Batleground (1949) with actual veterans as technical advisors

You can see the helmet markings here

[​IMG]

The tick on the BoB helmets is harder to spot as it's at the 6 O'Clock position

[​IMG]

7. You should see what the lads that took Pegasus Bridge thought of Ambrose!

8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

IIRC even Ambrose has admitted that he made mistakes in his research for that book.

9. the_boy_syrup

His books are littered with mistakes almost every German Tank has an 88 mm gun
    I like his books some of them are a good read but you have to take them as what they are a collection of recolations by veterans who gave oral testomonies to the museum he ran
    He's bundled them all together and made a couple of good books
    Of course every veterans account differs as he discovered in BoB ( The lad they said died after episode 2 lived for 20 more yaesr and faught in Korea) and Pegasus Bridge

They are not a historically accurate record of WW2

He also caused a bit of contraversy by refusing to remove some of the stuff when contacted
    IIRC the story of the Yank Officer puting a pistol to the British Navel Officers head has been disproved but still in the books

IIRC Bando's site recants some of the claims about Bastogne and E Coy holding it single handedly

Well worth a read