US Air Force demotes & fires Colonel for letting staff re-enlist with hand puppet dinosaur

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
It is an "Emotional Support Dino Hand Puppet".

There is even a NATO Stock Number for it.

probably

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
If you click on the link in the article there is a picture of a bloke dressed up as a storm trooper and another with a pistol held to his head, the dinosaur was quite mild in comparison, I think someone has overeacted
I saw that on YooChoob too! There's also another vid (which I can't find) where a Septic took the oath wearing a top hat and tails. Some folks are so far up their own arses, it's unbelievable.

I mind when I took the Queen's shilling back in 1966. I could barely understand what the Rupert was saying, I just repeated the words after him. It was only after a Sergeant was nice enough to give me the gist of it in Irish a little while afterwards that I realised what I'd let myself in for.:smile::smile::smile:

MsG

I saw that on YooChoob too! There's also another vid (which I can't find) where a Septic took the oath wearing a top hat and tails. Some folks are so far up their own arses, it's unbelievable.

I mind when I took the Queen's shilling back in 1966. I could barely understand what the Rupert was saying, I just repeated the words after him. It was only after a Sergeant was nice enough to give me the gist of it in Irish a little while afterwards that I realised what I'd let myself in for.:smile::smile::smile:

MsG
The Irony............

IIRC it is the norm to have a bit of fun on reenlistment oaths... Obviously the initial is deadly serious but this is just getting another 3 years or so. There's normally a bit of a partay straight after too. Which can further japery.

MsG
you're lying again. Stop it.

I mind when I took the Queen's shilling back in 1966.
Was that in January or February of 1966 as you never can quite remember the lie very well.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Is the dinosaur hand puppet ok?
Probably not. According to the Natural History Museum it's an Unfortunatelyeveryonesaurus, and they're generally very sensitive.

From what I've read elsewhere, the Colonel should have raised his right hand. The fact that he didn't got some people angrier than the dinosaur glove puppet.

As to the Master Sergeant who was re-enlisting, I presume that the severity of her punishment was mainly due to the fact that you could see her lips moving?

Ventriloquism is an art, and quite frankly that was a travesty.

"Gootle of geer" ;-)

I would have held out for Emperor Palpatine. One reenlistment that I heard of was of a Vietnamese-American which took place in Iraq in 2005-6. He insisted on having the flag of the Republic of South Vietnam present as well as the American flag. Where they found a RVN flag in Iraq I don't know, but they did. Kooky. Nice kid though.

Reenlist 1.png
My Work Pictures 234.jpg
My Work Pictures 235.jpg

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Like Bugsy I took the Oath in 1966 when I was of the really mature age of 15 and 3/4s and all it was we were lined up in the OC Recruiting's office and did the "Repeat after me" bit. I had no real idea what that actually meant other than they then paid me over £9 in one day's pay, travel exes and a meal allowance. More money than I had ever had!

Re-enlistment was really emotional with a clerk in the Orderly Room saying "Sign here". Done.

What a stupid over-reaction. It's not like firing confetti at a 21 gun salute during a royal funeral. I don't suppose it's because the Nazi salute bit is to do with god bothering? Religious septics tend to get a bit worked up about their invisible dictator. Why does re-enlistment need a ceremony anyway?

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Was that in January or February of 1966 as you never can quite remember the lie very well.
Both dates, he got two Bob! To pay for the funerals of his family that were murdered twice by the British Army.
He was also the youngest person enlisting. They don't have drummer boys in the Catering Corps anymore, but if they did, he'd re-enlist.

Serious question but what specifically is re-enlistment.

I understand the word obviously in terms of rejoining the NG/Army after a period of absence (ie left the army and joined the NG two years later).

But a lot of the ceremonies seem to take place in Iraq/Afghanistan and I assume the soldier would already be enlisted in order to be there in the first place.

I'm just surprised creationists aren't going mental over this, aren't there plenty of yanks who think dinosaurs were false flag operation

Serious question but what specifically is re-enlistment.

I understand the word obviously in terms of rejoining the NG/Army after a period of absence (ie left the army and joined the NG two years later).

But a lot of the ceremonies seem to take place in Iraq/Afghanistan and I assume the soldier would already be enlisted in order to be there in the first place.
If they are already serving, its effectively extending their service fo x amount of years
I think If they enlist on operations they dont have to pay tax on any sign-on bonus that they get.

Ta. I hadn’t really given it a lot of thought and that makes sense.

I guess that it is what I thought was termed “re-upping”