US accuses Venezuela over attack

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Vegetius, Apr 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, it was only missiles and tomatoes on the Ambassador's car (BBC link here) but what is the orbat for the Venezuelan army anyway?

2. It's not the army one should be aware of but Chavez personal militia.

3. Hmm, how much oil does Venezuela have? :twisted:

The same would have happened here during the Shaved Chimp's visit if it had not have been for the massive police presence....shame!

4. Article 22.2 of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations seems to support what the Americans are complaining about:

The receiving State is under a special duty to take all appropriate steps to protect the premises of the mission against any intrusion or damage and to prevent any disturbance of the peace of the mission or impairment of its dignity.

However, Article 41.1 is worth checking out:

Without prejudice to their privileges and immunities, it is the duty of all persons enjoying such privileges and immunities to respect the laws and regulations of the receiving State. They also have a duty not to interfere in the internal affairs of that State.

5. I don't know much about the region, sort of lost interest in it after the Contra/ Sandinista/ narco-terror stuff.

If the Americans started to get a bit shirty with Chavez then on which side would the other Latin American nations fall?

6. Bearing in mind that there has been a considerable shift to the left in many Latin American countries (Brazil, Chile, Bolivia...) it is unlikely that any American move against Chavez would be popular.

7. Since when has that stopped the US :?

8. Well, yes...but where are the groups which have previously supported any American interventions? It strikes me that they are keeping a low profile.

9. Have to agree with gallowglass.

If my memory serves me, Bolivia have just elected a far left government along the same lines as Castro and Chavez.

10. There have been other threads about venezuela recently. In one of them I pointed out that Oil exports to the US were 1.6 million barrels in 1991. This figure fell to 1.3 million by 2003 and is estimated at being around 1 million last year (and still falling).

Venezuela was onr of the founding members of OPEC and petroleum accounts for something like 80% of its export income and about 33% of the Gross Domestic Product. That puts it in the big league insofar as the US is concerned. Any disturbance from this nation in terms of supply is economically threating to the US - hence the interest in 'liberating' it from unwelcome tendencies.

And conversley the reason for certain attitudes and responses from Venezuela - in all a situation of poo type scale waiting to be dropped!

HTH,

P

11. If this was the only incident it wouldnt be that big a deal, but its the 3d in a little over a week. The Venezuelan Ambassador was summoned to the State Department and was told that if there are any more repeats the Venezuelan embassy staff would be restricted to their embassy.

12. Perhaps there should be a tit-for-tat retailation - Venezuelan ambassador's car gets trashed by Jackass types on skateboards.