US$134Billion treasury bonds seized on Italian Swiss border

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Jun 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Two men carrying Japanese Passports were arrested by Italian Customs trying to cross into Switzerland with US$134 Billion in Treasury Bonds.

That is 1% of US GDP. Its about the same number of bonds as the UK holds.

The arrest occured on the 1 Jun 09 but it has not been confirmed yet if they are real of fake.

If real it would be one of the biggest hauls in history.

Other theories are that they are N Korean fakes on the way to be laundered.

2. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

It's probably Gordon up to something.

3. Very strange , and even stranger that the UK media has not reported it!

Litotes

4. BuggerAll

Selling the countries USD bond holdings? He hasn't got form for that sort of thing has he?

Do you think if I offered him a fiver and some tablet he might do a deal?

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Excellent. My £1000.00 'processing fee' arrived with that nice Mr Alonga at the Japanese embassy in Nigeria then?

My percentage will be in my account within days. Hurrah!

6. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

How dare you! Gordon's father was something big in the kirk, so big that William Shatner said it made his eyes water.
    :D

7. Nah. If it was El Gordo doing it, it'd've been all over the papers weeks in advance.

8. Mostly quite on the US media front as well. CBS NBC and ABC haven't mentioned it yet. Only a few have run it of FOX.

The conspiracy theories are flying now; one is the Chinese are dumping the dollar, another it is a mob type endevour, and the best is that the FED has been selling bonds on the black market...well truth be told they are all plausible :D

9. BuggerAll

Plus he would have changed his mind, forgotten where he'd sent them and probably offered to buy them back for twice face value.

10. The FT reported over the weekend that the bonds were fakes and that the police thought that the Mafia was involved.

Litotes