[url]www.regiments.org:[/url] Whats going on?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Kaye, Jul 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

One of the web's great sites seems to have disappeared. A while ago www.regiments.org went black (or actually: White, with the message saying that the site was temporarily unavailable and to please check again later.)

It's been a while now and I'm getting really curious about what's going on. The site is a good resource and has properly researched information about a wealth of regiments and their histories.

I anyone here in the know?

2. Yes - shame that's down - I used to find it very handy

Did a whois search on the domain this is what I found;

"regiments.org" is registered with networksolutions.com

Domain ID:D9623830-LROR
    Domain Name:REGIMENTS.ORG
    Created On:30-Aug-1999 19:44:24 UTC
    Last Updated On:19-Oct-2004 02:27:24 UTC
    Expiration Date:30-Aug-2010 19:44:20 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:Network Solutions LLC (R63-LROR)
    Registrant ID:28673602-NSI
    Registrant Name:T.F. Mills
    Registrant Organization:T.F. Mills
    Registrant Street1:2559 S. Humboldt St.
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Denver
    Registrant State/Province:CO
    Registrant Postal Code:80210
    Registrant Country:US
    Registrant Phone:+1.30374428
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:tomills@DU.EDU
    Admin ID:28673603-NSI
    Admin Name:T.F. Mills
    Admin Organization:T.F. Mills
    Admin Street1:2559 S. Humboldt St.
    Admin Street2:
    Admin Street3:
    Admin City:Denver
    Admin State/Province:CO
    Admin Postal Code:80210
    Admin Country:US
    Admin Phone:+1.30374428
    Admin Phone Ext.:
    Admin FAX:
    Admin FAX Ext.:
    Admin Email:tomills@DU.EDU
    Tech ID:5358807-NSI
    Tech Name:Interland, Inc.
    Tech Street1:303 Peachtree Center Avenue
    Tech Street2:suite 500
    Tech Street3:
    Tech City:Atlanta
    Tech State/Province:GA
    Tech Postal Code:30303
    Tech Country:US
    Tech Phone:+1.404720830
    Tech Phone Ext.:
    Tech FAX:+1.678365289
    Tech FAX Ext.:
    Tech Email:DOMREG@INTERLAND.COM
    Name Server:B.NS.INTERLAND.NET
    Name Server:C.NS.INTERLAND.NET
    Name Server:A.NS.INTERLAND.NET

http://www.whois-search.com/whois/regiments.org

3. I sent this to the email adress you gave:

Dear mister Mills,

As an enthousiastic visitor of your site -and one that used it in Military History assignments!- I am saddened that your marvellous site is still offline.
    I and many others hope that there are no tragic personal reasons for the disappearance of Regiments.org.

We would like to know when we can visit this magnificent piece of knowledge on the history of all those regiments once again.

Sincerely,

Kaye.

4. Incorporate it in some way into the ARRSEpedia maybe? Or a new section of the site?

5. The e-mail address is dead. I got a reply from the server that no recipient existed.

Regiments.org was huge! What made it so good was that all information was crosslinked and that every British, or British affiliated regiment that ever existed was in there. The site was still growing too!
    I don't think the Good CO and Bad CO would want to pay for the serverspace or traffic associated with such a whopper of a site...

6. Well if it's a question of site server space and cost etc , we'd need to find out what was involved, before a proposal to the CO's, if you are all suggesting mirroring this excellent resource?

Does anyone have comms with the owner? I hope it's a temporary glitch and not something far more personally tragic

7. It's been online a very long time - since 1995 which makes it ancient by internet standards

The good ol' Wayback machine will give you an idea of the scale of the site

http://web.archive.org/web/*/regiments.org

I wonder would it be possible to run wget on the archive.org version and get a backup of the site content?

8. Totally agree with all the comments. This was an excellent resource, and one I used on many occasions, whilst assisting on great war queries on my own regimental site. If the CO's considered taking it on, and the owner was game on, it would be an excellent tool, and expand ARRSE's popularity.

9. if you click on the relative dates you can bring the website back up - just had half an hour of hurried but satisfying research! 8)

10. Kaye, I had a chat with Tom Mills recently. I believe his temporary email address is
    Ph00as00co00at00Ea00rth00link00dot00net00

Just take out all the 00s for the address.

11. It was a work in progress and not complete so unless someone is willing to step into the breach and continue the research we may never know the story behind such illustrious formations as the Java Hussars, the Umtali Rifles or the Bukakata-Lutoba Ox Transport Corps.

12. Ah the dear old BLOTC...let themselves down badly at Umboko gorge but then covered themselves in glory during the retreat from Wafuz Darsai Ghazi. Or was that the Loamshires? Ring for the steward Hoskins, there's a good young chap...

13. I think they can be excused for Umboko gorge - the shock of seeing all those natives coming at them out of the long grass wielding their deadly pieces of sharpened fruit would have unnerved the bravest man.

14. still useful :soldier: