URGENT Help with new employer/how much time off work...

#1
Hi

After some help, the company I work for has just been taken over, not much will change apart from a new contract and the company name, I've been given a new contract which I haven't signed yet as there are some things which need addressing, one of them being the TA...

My new boss has requested a meeting at lunch today to go through my queries, I'll be asking about how much time I can have off for the TA

How much time do you get off????? Do you get any paid leave for the TA?


My old boss use to let me have as much unpaid as I wanted as long as it did disrupt the work flow too much
 
#2
Some larger employers will give you 5 days paid. Suggest you look at your Companies personnel handbook it should be clearly laid out there. If its not tread carefully you don't want to piss your new boss off. Don't make it look like you think the TA is more important to you than your "real" job.

Sounds as though you had a good set up with your old Boss you'll be lucky if your new one is as generous, good luck with your chat.
 
#3
Companies are not required to give extra paid leave for the TA or reserve forces, some do give exta holiday entitlement, like BT. You may well end up taking a part of your annual holiday entitlement for your annual camp/course etc.

SaBRE

Stilts
 
#4
For what it is worth, I get eight days special leave for a fifteen day annual camp. Everything else I have to book my days off around (I am a shift worker). As Stlits has said if it a "national" company such as BT, they are more likely to give you time off. However if you don't ask, you don't get...
There is a thread on this somewhere on ARRSE, I will try to find it for you.
Good luck
 
#5
I've seen variations as below:

Nothing - your own time/leave usage
Unpaid - special unpaid leave, upto 10 days
Part paid - Paid leave 1:1 with your leave
Part paid - paid leave, but taking your TA pay into account (so you don't make a profit from the leave)
Full paid - my last job allowed 2 week full pay additional 2 weeks unpaid.

basically it's a company choice, some will some won't...but you have a wealth of options to discuss.

S_R
 
#6
Jagythistle said:
Some larger employers will give you 5 days paid. Suggest you look at your Companies personnel handbook it should be clearly laid out there. If its not tread carefully you don't want to urine your new boss off. Don't make it look like you think the TA is more important to you than your "real" job.

Sounds as though you had a good set up with your old Boss you'll be lucky if your new one is as generous, good luck with your chat.
There's nothing in it yet, I'm guessing they will draw it up after this meeting..
 
#8
Did our beloved PM say something in the distant past to the effect that companies that do not support the reserves should be named and shamed? A friend of mine used that to get 5 days special leave. Of course, it could put their backs up...
What did your company previous to be taken over give you?
 
#9
We're given 10 days additional paid leave.

The company fully supports all members of the Reserve forces in its employ above and beyond what they are obliged to.

They recognise what we bring to the table in terms of all the man-management, planning and organising skills, bayonet-fighting etc.

Probably not the last one, in retrospect.

I could let you have a copy of our HR Policy idf you think it may help?
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#11
When I was in TA
We used to get up to 2 weeks extra time off to cover camp
The company used to 'make' my TA wage up to my company wage so I didn't lose out

A very good deal which had been agreed with the unions etc
 
#13
slimjim said:
Jagythistle said:
Some larger employers will give you 5 days paid. Suggest you look at your Companies personnel handbook it should be clearly laid out there. If its not tread carefully you don't want to urine your new boss off. Don't make it look like you think the TA is more important to you than your "real" job.

Sounds as though you had a good set up with your old Boss you'll be lucky if your new one is as generous, good luck with your chat.
There's nothing in it yet, I'm guessing they will draw it up after this meeting..
Tough one, you need to get it right then!!!

Just make sure you keep priorites in mind, Family, Work, TA


good luck
 
#14
I get 3 weeks which is paid in the first year (confirmed in letter from HR). After the first year I'm not so sure. Probably the same but unpaid.
 

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
#15
TUPE

Check this site out. It may help.

I have recently ( 3 weeks ago) gone through this. Basiaclly your old working conditions should apply.

So if before you were taken over you had 10 days paid a year for TA, then you still have the same ( at least that is thankfully how my lot interpreted it).
 
#16
it just depends on your work, not everyone is going to be the same i get 2 weeks unpaid leave extra for camp but they wouldnt dream of making up the money i lose though the gits :)
 
#17
Haribo said:
it just depends on your work, not everyone is going to be the same i get 2 weeks unpaid leave extra for camp but they wouldnt dream of making up the money i lose though the gits :)
Playing a bit of Devil's Advocate - why should they?
 
#19
Sorry Haribo - wasn't a dig - maybe employers would feel better inclined to assist their reservists (in all guises), if the employer was able to reclaim something in the way of a tax break from HMG for employing reservists?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top