URGENT Help with new employer/how much time off work...

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by slimjim, Jul 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

After some help, the company I work for has just been taken over, not much will change apart from a new contract and the company name, I've been given a new contract which I haven't signed yet as there are some things which need addressing, one of them being the TA...

My new boss has requested a meeting at lunch today to go through my queries, I'll be asking about how much time I can have off for the TA

How much time do you get off????? Do you get any paid leave for the TA?

My old boss use to let me have as much unpaid as I wanted as long as it did disrupt the work flow too much
  2. Some larger employers will give you 5 days paid. Suggest you look at your Companies personnel handbook it should be clearly laid out there. If its not tread carefully you don't want to piss your new boss off. Don't make it look like you think the TA is more important to you than your "real" job.

Sounds as though you had a good set up with your old Boss you'll be lucky if your new one is as generous, good luck with your chat.
  3. Companies are not required to give extra paid leave for the TA or reserve forces, some do give exta holiday entitlement, like BT. You may well end up taking a part of your annual holiday entitlement for your annual camp/course etc.

4. For what it is worth, I get eight days special leave for a fifteen day annual camp. Everything else I have to book my days off around (I am a shift worker). As Stlits has said if it a "national" company such as BT, they are more likely to give you time off. However if you don't ask, you don't get...
    There is a thread on this somewhere on ARRSE, I will try to find it for you.
    Good luck
  5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I've seen variations as below:

Nothing - your own time/leave usage
    Unpaid - special unpaid leave, upto 10 days
    Part paid - Paid leave 1:1 with your leave
    Part paid - paid leave, but taking your TA pay into account (so you don't make a profit from the leave)
    Full paid - my last job allowed 2 week full pay additional 2 weeks unpaid.

basically it's a company choice, some will some won't...but you have a wealth of options to discuss.

6. There's nothing in it yet, I'm guessing they will draw it up after this meeting..
  7. Keep them coming....
  8. Did our beloved PM say something in the distant past to the effect that companies that do not support the reserves should be named and shamed? A friend of mine used that to get 5 days special leave. Of course, it could put their backs up...
    What did your company previous to be taken over give you?
  9. We're given 10 days additional paid leave.

The company fully supports all members of the Reserve forces in its employ above and beyond what they are obliged to.

They recognise what we bring to the table in terms of all the man-management, planning and organising skills, bayonet-fighting etc.

Probably not the last one, in retrospect.

I could let you have a copy of our HR Policy idf you think it may help?
  10. My last employer allocated 3 weeks guaranteed unpaid leave to me, confirmed in writing.
  11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

When I was in TA
    We used to get up to 2 weeks extra time off to cover camp
    The company used to 'make' my TA wage up to my company wage so I didn't lose out

A very good deal which had been agreed with the unions etc
  12. I work for an Army charity, funded by the MOD - I have to use holiday for anything TA... nice
  13. Tough one, you need to get it right then!!!

Just make sure you keep priorites in mind, Family, Work, TA

good luck
  14. I get 3 weeks which is paid in the first year (confirmed in letter from HR). After the first year I'm not so sure. Probably the same but unpaid.
  15. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Check this site out. It may help.

I have recently ( 3 weeks ago) gone through this. Basiaclly your old working conditions should apply.

So if before you were taken over you had 10 days paid a year for TA, then you still have the same ( at least that is thankfully how my lot interpreted it).