URGENT gas advice required

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by eegeek, Mar 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just taken off a coleman self sealing canister form my stove, but the seal has failed. I scewed the stove back on and seal seems to be holding. should I take it out side and let it empty?( it's a small 100g bottle).
    Many Thanks

2. i would m8 but i am parnoid when comes to gas

Flip

3. Trouble is that I have got to be at the barracks by 5:50 that means setting off in an hour, and i'm not conviced that it would have emptyed by then as it don't want to leave it unattended.

4. If you take it off the stove the gas being expelled cou8ld cause an explosion (as far as I am aware.)

What is wrong with letting it out through the valve on the stove, without igniting it? (Well ventilated area)

5. Relax and have a fag!

6. I don't smoke- perhaps I should bring it with me to the kitchen and make dinner!

7. A guy is in a plane and doing a parachute jump, so he jumps and pulls the parachute cord and it fails, he's anxious but remembers the emergency cord, so he pulls that and again it fails, so he's sh!tt!ng hisself and the ground is fast approaching, just then he notices a bloke on his way up! so he thinks "he might know what to do". He says to the guy "Do you know owt about parachutes?" and the guy says "No do you know owt about gas ovens!!!?"

(PS rants about lack of parachute training to be directed here: ARRSE thread about those splendid over-stretched RAF Chaps doing everything they can to provide parachute training that may or may not be needed)

[tongue out of cheek]

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Guy's,
    I'm looking to replace the little stove I have & am looking for recomendations.(No f***** aga jokes please!!)
    I've heard some folk use the petrol fillable ones but I'd be a bit wary of them.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Spike

/

9. For military/ civvy/ AT use?

When you say little do you mean you want a new little stove literally? If that is the case then the MSR pocket rocket is shi8t-hot! Or are you wanting something more substantial/ larger?

10. The MSR stoves are good, had my rocket for about 4 years and it has never let me down (apart from when I ran out of fuel once). I'm always around fuel when i'm away and even if i'm not able to get petrol it wil burn diesel just as well and every vehical has diesel.

11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Just the type that fits into the webbing as norma;.I am also thinking of obtining a set of the German round mess tins.A old mate has these & his stove fit's into these nicely.
    Spike

12. Spike, petrol stoves are extremely efficient but I wouldn't have thought it very useful for a webbing stove. They tend to be on the large, awkward shape size, even when packed down.

However I can imagine the smaller fuel bottles are easier to pack than a gas canister.

Any liquid fuel stove can be potentially very dangerous, always seek instruction from an instructor or someone who has a similiar stove as you, practice with it outside before you use it in the field, there is a certain knack to them, and every stove is different.

If you get one ensure you buy replacement seals for the fuel bottle in advance, and build up a repair kit. Also as I take it you are a reg get an omni-fuel stove so you can replenish it from a variety of sources.

When changing fuels leave the near empty bottle to stand until all the remaining fuel has evaporated before filling it. Ignition of mixed fuels can often be a nightmare (made that mistake myself.) :oops:

Personally I use Primus Gravity stoves, both gas and omni-fuel versions, but they are designed to reduce weight and as such are not the sturdiest for PLCE packing.

Otherwise like I said earlier get an MSR Pocket Rocket, you will be impressed, if you're not sell it to me as I am looking for another to put in my canoeing gear.

illbeamonkeysoon

13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Thanks for the info. :)
    Spike