Urgent!! Fracture before training

Basically I've passed my selection and everything, and I'm just waiting to go to Harrogate on 25th September, but about 3 weeks back almost a month I fractured my foot nothing serious and it should be healed fully ten days before start date, but should I ring them up to tell them or just leave it till I get there to see what's said? Because I really don't want to have to wait 12 months to go

Basically I've passed my selection and everything, and I'm just waiting to go to Harrogate on 25th September, but about 3 weeks back almost a month I fractured my foot nothing serious and it should be healed fully ten days before start date, but should I ring them up to tell them or just leave it till I get there to see what's said? Because I really don't want to have to wait 12 months to go

You should a/speak to your doctor and b/see how you feel. If fully healed means fully healed, then crack on.

But beware. Things will get robust fast for you. Soldiers need their feet in good shape, so be very honest with yourself come the time.

I fractured my foot in Febuary, two months to "heal" but it still gives me a bit of gip now, mine was more soft tissue damage which is just about healing now. But going from a healed bone to basic training ten days later seems a bit of a stretch for the body. As others say, consult your doctor and possibly speak to the careers office, explain the situation and look at another intake. Better to start a few months later than planned then go man down.

Last edited:
I fractured my foot in Febuary, two months to "heal" but it still gives me a bit of gip now, mine was more soft tissue damage which is just about healing now. .
On a similar note
I had dog / stair incident last October - No broken bone but badly twisted - I missed my footing and landed upright on my ankle.

It was May before I could walk on uneven ground and even now its easy to twist and gives gip when I do exercise.

You are going to do a lot of physical activity, including impact stuff like tabbing in boots carrying weight. You need to be comfortable you are 100% fit, or you may well break something.

You are going to do a lot of physical activity, including impact stuff like tabbing in boots carrying weight. You need to be comfortable you are 100% fit, or you may well break something.
Well except that fractures tend to heal stronger, and basic training isn't designed for people who are 100% fit, and tabbing in boots and weight doesn't happen until well into training. And it's Jnrs (harrogate) so there's an extra duty of care on the DS.

I know you're probably really keen and chomping at the bit ready to get on with things, but you need to give the fracture time to heal. Putting your start date back to January may sound like the worst thing in the World right now, but believe me it isn't and it is far better to delay your army career by four months than be back squaded or discharged as being medically unfit. Speak to your doctor and take your time.

Well except that fractures tend to heal stronger, and basic training isn't designed for people who are 100% fit, and tabbing in boots and weight doesn't happen until well into training. And it's Jnrs (harrogate) so there's an extra duty of care on the DS.
I believe it is around 8-12 weeks for the new bone to form and up to a few years to strengthen. Of course it depends on the break, mine was a clean break on the 4th metatarsal so it was naturally splinted by the other bones.

Best advice as per before is see a doctor and be brutally honest with yourself, if you go for a run after it is supposed to be healed and you are in pain I would not go ahead with it.

Thanks for all the advice, I have to got back for a check up on the 16th September and see how it is, when I went last he said he is pleased and nothing serious, so I'll see what's said on the 16th I worn boots last night and it felt okay tbh, feels a lot better lately I'll see what's said on the 16th

Don't be thinking that your medical is over and done with. When you get to Harrogate you'll get plenty more medical attention. From head to foot. Expect the doctors to know a bit about foot injuries and take their advice if problems occur.
You'll get brand new boots issued to you which you'll have to break in and it's quite likely that everyone will have many foot aches and pains before the boots get comfy.
If your grumbles get severe you'll have the daily opportunity to go sick and see the quack about it.
Enjoy Harrogate.

Thanks for all the advice, I have to got back for a check up on the 16th September and see how it is, when I went last he said he is pleased and nothing serious, so I'll see what's said on the 16th I worn boots last night and it felt okay tbh, feels a lot better lately I'll see what's said on the 16th

You may have worn boots for a bit and felt OK but you haven't put in a hard day of running about, up stairs, round roundabouts and done a big lot of square bashing in them, have you? In addition to PT which may or may not be in boots. Don't convince yourself it's OK because you need it to be. Save that for your SAS selection.

If you have been given exercises to perform by the rehab nurse then make sure you are doing them. I was given a rubber strip and shown some things to do to help build back up the strength in my foot. 8 weeks off of your foot needs building up from.

Don't smoke

Rest

Follow the physio's advice

Depending on the break your looking 12 weeks to recover and be able to do rehab running (ie very little running).

Very high percentage don't fully heal a big reason being bad circulation

If you have been given exercises to perform by the rehab nurse then make sure you are doing them. I was given a rubber strip and shown some things to do to help build back up the strength in my foot. 8 weeks off of your foot needs building up from.
My experience of injury to knee and below (of which I have all too much and am reminded of every time I walk or run) is ALWAYS listen to the rehab people/physio.

Incidentally - while I was at AFC as Coy 2IC I was part of the group that proved that Junior entrants were more susceptible to lower limb injuries (I did the statistics). As a result the training was redesigned to avoid over-stressing immature joints. I kept track with people up there and as of when I left 3 years ago injury rates at AFC were lower than adult entry. AFC had an excellent physio/rehab dept. If you get injured they will do all they can to fix you. Good luck.

Ring them up to tell them.

Are you seriously thinking about telling "untruths" this early on?

Shame on the rest of you.