Urban Myths

Can anyone confirm or deny the following stories that were going around the Corps years ago.
1. A bloke in Germany in the late 70's early 80's changed his name to Tarquin Bivouac-Gyroscope by deed poll to feck off his SSM.
2. Another bloke in Germany, early 80's painted his CVRT completely black after being told there wasn't enough black on the original paint job.
I would like to think that they are true but somehow I doubt it.

I was told by a semi reliable source on Op Granby about the first story you mention.

I've been telling the story since, I hope its true because I'll look a right bluffing cnut if not :D

Well not having been around that long can't confirm or deny these stories ...but I have served with a guy who changed his name to
LEVI AMEDUS .....something or other! U get the idea!!!

and my mates CRARRV had big masive pick spot's painted on it in Telic1 much to his annoyance.....but we all thought it was funny!!

Sam_Fisher said:
2. Another bloke in Germany, early 80's painted his CVRT completely black after being told there wasn't enough black on the original paint job.
I would like to think that they are true but somehow I doubt it.
Didn't the Hildders mob do something like this, and call themselves the Drac Pack?

The gentleman in question was one so called Air Trooper "Dusty" Miller. He was in 652 Sqn and did this back in 1981 to help in his bid to be kicked out. It certainly worked. Last heard of he was seen at a hotel in the states by a pilot from 1 Regt in the mid 90's. He had gone to the states to make his living and eventually did so by pretending to be an Oil Millionair to women. He was apparrently arrested in Nevada, gambling some womans fortune away. He was jailed for 10 years. The info gained regarding his time in the States is however unsubstantiated, but is from a reliable source.

Remember seeing Dusty fighting a SSgt in the hangar. The SSgt is now dead. Got drunk and fell down the stairs to the Mess Bar in Hildesheim. Scouser he was and always hammered. He was a top geezer though. Used to wear Deardrie sized glasses that were definately the reason spec savers was formed. Anyway, the SSgt gave him a pasting and made him buy a yellow (Herforder Pils) handbag instead of taking it up the chain of command and having him charged.

That doesnt happen nowadays. The lawyers and everything come out now and sue for all sorts.

Then there was the bloke who would get dressed up as "The Scarlet Bladder" and shoot arrows at the CO on exercise (Active Edge) His father owned a fortune in Ireland and he would also wear a smoking Jacket in the block and play old 78's on a gramaphone player with wind up handle. His name was Slugs Carter. He would play a flute around Hannover Town centre dressed as the Pied Piper of Hamellyn. He would have a piece of string with fur attached to his foot and drag it along. He used to make a fortune cos the locals thought he was brilliant.

The CVRT thing is not known about.

Was in the banana from 81 to 89.

1. I heard that the Tarquin story was about a bloke in Detmold.
I do remember seeing a BAT who used to frequent the NAAFI bar with a cardboard box over his head and pencils out the sides, trying to work the ticket.

IMHO name change = Myth.

2. Early '80's BAOR awaiting the mighty hoards of the Red Army to roll down the vallies nicely into the 'eggs'!.
I do remember the MT's were never short of black IR paint.
IR paint, what was that all about and what exactly did it do painted onto a vehicle with exhausts, engines, people, brakes and BVs ?

Black CVRT = good possibility

:D
SS

A completely different 'urban myth' is the one about the alligators. Was anyone there who can confirm the stupidity of the man concerned?

it is 100% cast in stone, heard with my very own ears - true

same fella came out with other gems like dismantle those weapons and remantle them over there...

also patrol the inner rimiter and the outer rimiter etc etc

thank fcuk that chap from 3 regt took it upon himself to half kill him.

If I'm not mistaken the 654 AAC gulf badge said, desert alligators-together we will remantle Kuwait :D

The SSgt is now dead. Got drunk and fell down the stairs to the Mess Bar in Hildesheim. Scouser he was and always hammered. He was a top geezer though
Did his sir name begin with "G". If so he was my boss for a time at 1 regt. Was indead a top bloke.

TheWarden said:
Then there was the bloke who would get dressed up as "The Scarlet Bladder" and shoot arrows at the CO on exercise (Active Edge) His father owned a fortune in Ireland and he would also wear a smoking Jacket in the block and play old 78's on a gramaphone player with wind up handle. His name was Slugs Carter. He would play a flute around Hannover Town centre dressed as the Pied Piper of Hamellyn. He would have a piece of string with fur attached to his foot and drag it along. He used to make a fortune cos the locals thought he was brilliant.
Warden, I remember hearing about this chap on arriving at 7 Flt mid 80's, such was his legend status (memory blast!). I can remember a bloke at 1 Regt who used to cam up for the duration of the exercise by painting a CND symbol in cam cream on his face. Was that him?

And (if I remember correctly), the Drac Pack was formed by Batco (RiP) and Lance, complete with fake vamp teeth and cape's, seen driving around German Hamlets on top of a Sultan flapping the cape's around, vampire styleeee. Or was it all a myth?

thank fcuk that chap from 3 regt took it upon himself to half kill him.
Not heard that one, more please. Last I heard(although it was a long time ago) he was a security manger at Heathrow! 8O

Another thing that twat said in the Gulf was when they were firing the MLRS on the horizon he came out of his CP and looked . Then he said "Feck me whos firinf shermulies at this time of night" Fecking priceless

Warden,
Was there any truth in the rumour of the bloke in Hilders who had a crocodile in the block and then threw it away into the local pond in town.

One of my favourites is the one about the two bright sparks who decide to knock over a branch of Sparkasse during Lionheart in '84.

They figure out (probably after 1 or 2 yellow handbags) that the perfect crime just dropped into their laps. Everyone looks the same. 1000s of people cutting about in Noddy-suits, Ressy on, carrying weapons. What could be easier? How would the police identify two blokes in all that? So off they trot to make a large withdrawl. 'Hande hoch!', 'Put the money in the bag' and all that, no shots fired (as if they could), noone hurt. Laughing all the way from the bank. Perfect...

...Until GCP and RMP rock up and clap them in irons. How did they get caught so easily? Well, it didn't take Sherlock Holmes' powers of deduction. All they did was watch the cctv footage and read the name tag on the front of each noddy-suit! Clever.

Not sure how true all that is but it made me howl and wouldn't surprise me if it was totally genuine!

CONNEACH said:
Jinxsy, I think the guy who died having fallen down stairs was Scouse Ga**ry.
Thats who I was thinking it was..........................Thanks, CONNEACH.

I was with 1 Regt at Hilders between, the very end of 79 and 81. Don't remember the "black CVR(T)". Although if I rember correctly, one of the drivers re-fuelled one with diesel, not good for an e type jag engine. I also seem to remember the same driver, putting one on its side.

I have heard the one about the crock and the lake, but Can't confirm it. I do know though that one of the lads, was parked up on the lakes bank one evening with his girl friend and at some point during the throws of passion the handbrake got released and the car ended up in the lake.

There is some truth, he came up with my nickname during our NI tour that haunted me till I left. Working with him during my time in the unit , I must admit very interesting but he did do what was asked by persons of rank without question and fuss, there were of course some that had the impression he was out to make trouble during 82 I ended up in front of the boss more times than he did.

However not to sure if the name change was accepted by the MOD so application was rejected by another government department, (Just making application did p off a few people) can not recall him getting kick out but he did his time as did Slugs and left a few years later than The Warden suggests, but sure someone will correct me on this.

As to what happen to them after I have no idea, but I am amazed that this is still going strong so many years on, what an impact and if its true, there must be a few as&%^$* out that that should hang their heads in shame on their attempt to leave their mark, non appear to have done as good as Dusty, how much longer will this go on.

Correct me again if I am wrong but the black CVRT was the same Unit on its relocation to banana because super powers wanted unit in asp to help out with weakness in current unit in that location, if I recall the move took place during or just before a PRE so CVRT was in fact half completed.

As always the frog came to the rescue.

two things,

1. Jinxy, excellent use of a barbie doll, where did you get that from ??

2. I was in Bielefeld in the late 70s - early 80's and a visiting pisshead monkey told me about the alligator that a squaddie kept in the bath at Detmold as a baby, but it got too big for the bath and when he tried to pick it up, it started chewing on his arm. It was his trip to the Medcen that resulted in the monkeys being called to investigate. Daft eh !!, but not as daft as the MOJO who walked into Corps HQ barracks dressed as a russian officer and no-one challenged him !!!. Also heard about the idiots at Herford who kept breaking ito the zoo to nick the animals. Any truth in the rumour about the RSM finding a LLama tied to the flagpole one morning.

Also heard about the idiots at Herford who kept breaking ito the zoo to nick the animals. Any truth in the rumour about the RSM finding a LLama tied to the flagpole one morning.
No it was in fact a Camel. It was 7 Sigs at the time and they also had a croc in the bath - just a small one but some sick wankre decided to kill it . Also foxes (Artic and European and once a Badger) and the Super FofS on a few occasions opened his locker in Mike troop to find a duck inside ..as well as a lot of ducksh*t.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kilo42 The Intelligence Cell 62
goatbagthedruid Gunners 57
semper ACF 70