Urban fox

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Jan 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just in case you missed it although Mr Talbot evidently didn't :)

Large Fox linky
  2. I'd like to see hundreds, thousands, more like that one, roaming the streets and lurking in every suburban garden. Three cheers for dribbling animal sentimentalists. May they fill my diary for years to come.
  3. German foxes are on average 30% larger than the UK variety, but 26 pounds is a good Roe deer and not a fox. Some modern parents have obviously been ramming vegan chappie down it's neck since it weaned.
  4. I've just checked the sizes on record here, vixens weigh in normally between 5 and 6.5 kilos, dogs between 6 and 7.5. They speak of rare heavy foxes of up to 14.5 kilos, I've shot a dog fox which was easily nine, now I wish I'd kept it.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I tend to get called to urban gardens to trap and despatch. Its usually because they make a mess or break in and make a mess! Charlie Jacoby at Fieldsports TV is running a competition to fing the largest. I just wish I could catch the heron thats cleaned out my pond now its thawed!
    Never had a really big fox yet although the traps are big enough!
  6. I often harpoon them with a .17HMR from an upper window, using the lawn as a backstop. I did have to shoot one whacking great and very wary/nimble one a while back, that i used the .222 for, but it never crossed my mind to weigh it.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So a whole new sport opens up!
  8. Shag that. I charge.
  9. i feel a variation coming on.
  10. Do you have a ticket for Heron? It's quite tricky to get permission to deal with grey heron apparently and under the 1982 Wildlife Act it's a hanging offence to upset them in any way.

I've lost a lot of grass carp to the beaked blighters; one method of dissuasion that did work was to drive stakes around the edge of the
    pond and then loop fishing line at about 10 inches height around the stakes. However, after while they started landing on tree stumps in the water rather than the bank.
  11. If you see a heron with a broken wing you can shoot it as a humane dispatch.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So do I but that said there's nothing wrong with a spot of trophy work is there?

I always keep the brushes unless they are mangy!
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oh I know that, its just that the buggers take off before I can get the gun out!
  14. The secret is to stake the pond out with a .22CF, then should one break its wing whilst fishing, you can be on hand 100yds or so away, to ensure it doesn't suffer too long. One can take a laptop to post drivel on ARRSE, or peruse internet grot, whilst waiting to perform this task of mercy.
  15. We used an electric fencer unit around the pond. It worked well on Herons and even better on the neighbours cats :)