Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Urban Explorers. Bravest of the brave or a bunch of twats?

I think the problem with Urbex is the idiots who do stunts to try and get in the news

Most people are ok, and just want to explore as a harmless hobby, but like most things you only need a few idiots to ruin it for everyone

I do a bit as I like doing photoshoots in ruins, plod haven't even given me issues when I start burning wire wool when the ground is wet enough to get away with it, without creating a fire risk

I know you have already been asked, but is the wire wool burning the normal fire lighting routine putting a current through it or something different?

When you're fresh out of Hexi!

But there are so many easier options :)
Just carry a bottle of hand sanitizer gel, use it to get clean, then set fire to the rest and use as fuel, its easier to carry than wire wool surely.
Or.
Just get your act together and have enough proper fuel in the first place :)

Just carry a bottle of hand sanitizer gel, use it to get clean, then set fire to the rest and use as fuel, its easier to carry than wire wool surely.
Or.

Burning random sh#t is far more fun and pleasing for the purple caped one. Sense of adventure man.

9 Volt battery as easier to get the terminals to complete the circuit.

Well yes, but I didnt say otherwise :)
On a complete tangent I once watched a 'survival fire lighting' vid on youtube from a chap in America.
His idea was that if you are in you car you can use a set of jump leads to make sparks after connecting them to the battery!!!

I just watched it thinking 'so you are in your car, you could have a 12v cigarette lighter in the car, you could have a butane/petrol lighter in the glovebox, but you decide the expedient thing to do is carry heavy jump leads and risk shorting out the battery' !

Or.

You use something like an old whisk, rap the wool around it, set fire to it and use it to make creative patterns in the darkness

You can do the same with pricey electronic gizmo's, but that costs money and doesn't involve burning stuff for fun

You use something like an old whisk, rap the wool around it, set fire to it and use it to make creative patterns in the darkness

You can do the same with pricey electronic gizmo's, but that costs money and doesn't involve burning stuff for fun

Very clever, plus you have instant brightness control depending on how fast you wave them :)

Well yes, but I didnt say otherwise :)
On a complete tangent I once watched a 'survival fire lighting' vid on youtube from a chap in America.
His idea was that if you are in you car you can use a set of jump leads to make sparks after connecting them to the battery!!!

I just watched it thinking 'so you are in your car, you could have a 12v cigarette lighter in the car, you could have a butane/petrol lighter in the glovebox, but you decide the expedient thing to do is carry heavy jump leads and risk shorting out the battery' !
Setting fire to a survival nuts car more fun and heat. Some weird ones over the pond, as per various threads.

Very clever, plus you have instant brightness control depending on how fast you wave them :)

If you want to try, get the wire wool at any DIY store, some goggles whilst you're at it, and head for your nearest beech and as long as you stay clear of anywhere with vegetation of any kind you can't hurt yourself or anyone else if you're careful

Had plod investigate plenty of times thinking I'm up to no good, once you tell them they're fine, they've bigger things to worry about

A desire to set fire to things is an indication of sexual deviance, I expect that you already know that.

The ones that fart about on buildings here are just idiots. The ones that do the "explore the Zone of Alienation around the CNPP at Chernobyl and the general Pripyat area" thing are basically doing what they do in this game series, only for real (with much less use of AKs and shooting of Ukrainian military personnel, natch).

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Wikipedia. - games.

Stalker in real on the territory of Chernobyl Exclusion Zone | Чернобыль, Припять, зона отчуждения ЧАЭС - real people

See Photos Taken on Illegal Visits to Chernobyl's Dead Zone - same kind of thing only written in better and more idiomatic English.

I'd like to go on a trip to Pripyat and Chernobyl myself, having spent more time than I'd admit to in mixed company exploring their virtual counterparts.