Upper Body

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JoshMillss, Apr 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,
    I'm worried about my upper body strength!
    I'm midway through the application process,just waiting for my 1st interview date. I can pump out the sit ups piece of urine and the run is no problem whatsoever but I just can't seem to do the chin ups or push ups.
    Has anyone got any tips/ideas on what I can do to get strong quick?
    Or is it just a case of hard graph for a month or so?
  2. Practice different variations of pressups, and do sets of as many as you can do 3-4 times a day. Also when you go to the toilet you could also bang out a few pressups or situps. For chin ups, get a chin up bar, put it in your doorway, then everytime you enter your room do as many as you can.
  3. If youve got weights start training on them at a low weight per arm say, 3kg and then build it up on there over a period of time which you think fits best. If you havent got any weights lying around you could try the gym, some do temporary membership for a few months, so that would be good for the few months/weeks before selection. Failing both of these just build up the amount of press ups and use your imagination and do pull ups down the park or something like that :)
  4. my old man put up a ten of the best bar in the front room...he'd put shite tv on and if i wanted to watch footy i'd give him any number up to 10 tht he wanted of what he wanted!!

i never really bother with it and find in 2-3 weeks you can girth the required number... just do lots and lots for lots of days and then do lots more!! plus my local chippy let me girth some spud bags round the chipping room!! awesome phys and remember when it pulls you stop with arms because biceps are very easy to tear and harder to repair and you dont want that so close!
  5. Same here OP, sit ups are easy. Just whenever you think about press-ups, do a load, and really squeeze them out. It takes a while for the ability to do any decent amount of reps to come, but when it does come, you'll have an almost daily improvement.
  6. 2 months hard work, minimum. Use your own body weight to train, do press ups, pull ups, tricept dips etc...unless you are a skinny wee thing in which case do some free weights.

There is no quick solution I am afraid! I'm trying to lose weight and improve my fitness and upper body strength all at the same time! Fcukin arrse!
  7. Get a cheap CHIN UP BAR and PRESS UP BARS from Argos

Then do 10x press ups and 3 heaves, sit and watch TV until you feel ready again (every 5-10 mins). Eventually you will be doing loads a day (in the hundreds)
  8. Ensure that, in addition to the "lots and lots" course of action prescribed by many here, you do have rest days. This will allow the muscle to build and repair, and this is what you want.
  9. I find that max push-ups before bed and first thing in the morning are a great help.
  10. You don't need to lift weights, you simply need to practise. Using weights won't help with pressups and pullups. Practising them however, will!
  11. In the words of my rugby coach "The only way to improve pressups is to practice"

Start off doing 10 pressups 3 times a day for around a week or so

Then increase that to 15 in week 2. After a month of this (increasing the amount of pressups by 5 per week) you should have 1 day where you test yourself in every aspect of your physical fitness, I am assuming you train cardio on a regular basis etc.

So after a month try 1 min pressups max effort, same with situps followed by a 1.5 mile run in your best time. Once your into a regular training pattern stick with it and test yourself on a regular basis as not only can you see the improvement but it will make you feel so much better about yourself when you see how much you have achieved.

So yeah just stick to it and don't give up mate there is no magic formula to make you a top athlete you just need to be dedicated to improving your personal fitness! :)
  12. Didn't know you could get bars for push ups, Are they any good? I don't really have any problems with push ups, But if these are worth getting, then I'll probably get some.
  13. they improve the line and the dip however you need to want to being using them right to get ought out of them!!

14. Push up bars? Whatever happened to knuckles on gravel?! :p
  15. 10 press ups a day for 2/3 wks (only takes a few second), 15 for another week or 2, then 30 +

worked for me!!