Upper age...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by themaadone, Jan 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Being bored, as one is one new years day, I realised that the royal navy is recruiting initial intakes up to their 37th birthday apart from divers, 36th birthday on a full 22! year contract..... 8O

I know that there was talk of the AGC (SPS) letting their bods serve untill 55 and the MPGS does have 55 and the odd 1 serving a little longer...

Whats the score now? Does the Army keep people on, apart from lsl?

Are ex soldiers over 33 encouraged to rejoin?

What corps regiments are doing this, if any?

Looking at the RAF, their cutoff age is 29 apart from the medical branch and occifers.... and the royal marines are taking on till 33rd birthday---- what the shingles has happened?

2. Demographics. Nintendo's. Overstretch.

3. With regard to the RAF cut off age (cant speak for others) but they change it to suit themselves - i enlisted at 31. With regard to serving to age 55 theres a little catch - you must have reached the exalted rank of flight Sgt by the age of 47.

4. Remember an old 3 badge seaman RN on HMS St Brides Bay [a Destroyer]in the early 60's name of George Parker [must have 'crossed the bar' by now] who finally retired at 64 years of age..........Nothing new then :D

5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

From the RAF reserve website.

"Age

At the date of enlistment a candidate should normally be between the ages of 17½ and 50, although those aged up to 55 years may be considered if they are ex-service. A volunteer under the age of 18 will only be accepted with the written consent of a parent or guardian."

6. Wonder how long before the TA shifts the goalposts as well?

7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

They already do if you offer something that they want.

8. I don,t see the problem. Belive me there are loads of good blokes in thier 30,s in civ div who would love to get back into the forces. I even know of a guy who joined the TA and volentered for attachment after attachment and was basicly a regular soldier until the army said 55 is a little too old !!. Ok several tours in Bosnia & the sandpit maybe not everyones cup of tea. But he cut the mustard , so why could,nt he re-join? I,m 35 now and I feel I could still do the biz. As long as you look after yourself & stay fit whats the problem? As long as older soldiers can swallow thier pride at being a 30+ PTE they won,t do the army any harm at all.
    For new recruits maybe keep the same age levels. But for ex regulars & Ta I feel there is no harm in moving the age limit up a bit. If I was in a position now to rejoin even at 35 I,d go for it. I mean we are living longer now and in civ div bLIAR wants us to work until we are 70 !!! I can,t see any harm whatsoever.

Regards LT.

9. I agree with you, LoneTree. And I can smell burned rubber as the whole shebang commits to a gigantic u-turn. Options For Change in the early 90s got rid of a whole range of guys who were perfectly happy to soldier on as 35 yr old LBdr Arms Storemen and the like. But the hierarchy decided that they didn't fit in with the modern concept of expeditionary warfare and binned them all. I thought at the time that it was amazingly stupid as we had only just commissioned the well named MARILYN report (Manning And Recruiting In the Lean Years of the Nineties - which has to be the best acronym of the last 20 years).

I welcome the return of the old soldier - then I won't feel so old as I do when surrounded by the current bunch of 17 and 18 year olds!!

Litotes

10. i remember walking down to my ACF unit which is attached to a TA centre, only to be acosted and asked if i would like to join up , once i mentioned my age (38) they lost interest as it seems the upper age limit is 31 for the Royal Artillery.
    never asked the RE tho , they are in the same building.