Upper age limits now 60

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Dec 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Am I being dim, or do these age limits only apply to officers?

2. As it's in the TA forum, can we assume that it only applies to TA as well?

Any chance of a link or supporting docs?
  3. i read some where cant remember where but is officers only due to the massive shortage of people who are or wish to be ruperts
  4. Infantry age limits getting raised, and not just for Officers according to rumour control....

To be honest , why can't the cooks, MT and some AGC admin serve to 60?
  5. In this day and age, rules can be bent on any front that is required if someone high enough up the tree takes a fancy. But to answer your original question - yes it is only Officers.
  6. Some RLC chefs and AGC clerks do serve that long. All it takes is a statement from the CO and the yearly waiver gets signed.

I'm sure I'm not the only to have seen 45 year old Infantry JNCO's retrading so that they can stay in the TA.
  7. As long as you can do the job and are willing to do the job, my view is that age should not be a factor.

I knew an RSM of a South African reserve infantry battalion that was still volunteering for and being accepted for 3 month operational tours in South West Africa/ Angola at the grand old age (so it seemed to me at the time) of 58. This was in the mid-1980s. He had started his military service in the Western Desert in WW2 and his wide experience was respected and welcomed by one and all.
  8. Rhodesian SAS reserve , Jumping into Porkers (Mozambique) in 1978. From the same type of aircraft he jumped into Arhnem from.
  9. be interesting to see how long before they extend the age limits to the rank and file
  10. I gather that the announcement will be made in April (1st perhaps :D ) with review boards every three years although I'm not sure as to from what age it all starts.

All that concerns me is that I should sneak in with just 4 months to spare :wink:
  11. msr

msr LE

As far as I am aware, it's not automatic, it's only if there is a job for you - otherwise the entire officer career structure will stand fast for 15 years.

12. There is quite a few "old and bold" working private security in Iraq right now. One ex-Regiment NCO was nearly 60!
    The car he was in was bumped. He and his oppo. return fire, killing two ragheads and wounding the third. The old boy walks over to the wounded terrorist and beats him to death. Good effort!
    Soldier's fitness and skills degrade at individual rates. Some retain their combat capabilty longer than others.
  13. This is all very well but what does it say for the future structure and age span of the average Officers Mess?. If we carry on like this the units will be split between a bunch of very old enablers and the rest will be 'two tour' mobilisees with an average age of 20 who then leave.

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Is the TA becoming the Volksturm?
  15. 7 Regt AAC (V) have quite a few over 50 on their books I think the oldest is 56 (groundcrew JNCO) I was always led to believe they can carry on until 60 if a job was available to them same as NRPS...