Upper age limit

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by naamah, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hiya all
    Please can you tell me what is the very latest that you can join the regular army?
    I am 32 and 10 months is there even the slightest chance of me being accepted so late?

Thankyouuuuuuuuuu!

2. im in process of joining now and im 31 and 2 months. i belive upper age limit is 32 and 11 months, but i think you need to have been accepted by that age. Only way to find out for sure is to call afco, i think it also depends on job applying for. some may take an older recruit than i said.
    good luck in your application.

3. im in process of joining now and im 31 and 2 months. i belive upper age limit is 32 and 11 months, but i think you need to have been accepted by that age. Only way to find out for sure is to call afco, i think it also depends on job applying for. some may take an older recruit than i said.
    good luck in your application.

4. You need to be less than 33 at the date of attestation, that is the same day that you join your training regiment. The enlistment process takes between 3-5 months.
    I am afraid the TA is the only option for you my friend.
    Your local ACIO will be able to tell you the same.

5. Thankyou very much, Good luck to you too!!

6. doesn't it vary on job choice?

7. I have just dug out the Army Information Note (AIN 129/06) that was published on 6 Dec 06, it states the following:

CHANGE TO THE MAXIMUM AGE ON ENLISTMENT TO THE REGULAR ARMY

ISSUE
    The maximum age for enlistment, onto the Open Engagement, is now 33 years of age for all
    Arms and Services.

KEY POINTS
    • The maximum age limit for enlistment has been raised to 33 years of age.
    • The exception to this policy change will be CAMUS who will retain the maximum limit of 36.11 years.

BACKGROUND
    Current policy regarding the maximum age for enlistment to the Regular Army varies, at the discretion of individual A&SDs. With the introduction of age legislation and the drive to seek greater uniformity across the 3 Services, a review of Army policy has been conducted. There is a lack of convincing evidence to support a case to continue with current differences in policy, more especially in light of Royal Marines policy which allows entry up to 33 years of age, and there is little confidence that current restrictions are either sensible or helpful in manning the Army.
    At the Manning Green Line meeting held in Oct 06, the decision was taken to raise the maximum age limit for enlistment to 33 years of age. Supported by HQ DINF, the Arm that might reasonably be expected to require the most exacting age criteria, it is logical to apply a common standard to all. The exception to this policy change will be CAMUS who will retain the maximum limit of 36.11 years.

I don't know if the above info can help you at all? Although 33 is stated throughout the AIN, I have heard 32. 11 as being the cut off. No doubt someone will come along later and help you further.

I have stated all along that the upper age limit should be raised even higher. There are plenty of men out there above the age of 33 who could contribute to HM Forces in a Regular capacity. (And could no doubt run rings around people half their age.)

8. I have an appointment to speak to someone about joining the TA tomoz.
    Some very useful info and greatly appreciated.
    Thankyou :)

9. hope it all goes well mate, i know how you feel when you have the desire to join the army. Iv got my interview tomorrow then hopefully ill get my date for adsc. I think if your fit enough and capable of doing the job, then you should be given a chance to prove it..

10. Yer i think the age limit is about 32-33 depending on what your joining however the TA lets you join at a max age i think of about 44 so go down to your local careers office and find out

11. Hello, everyone.

I'm 25 just graduating from Uni this year. (hopefully!)

Just wondering if the upper age limit also applies to T.A?

While i know the T.A is irregular, just want to know if anyone have any opinion into whether which is better, regular or T.A? As i heard the T.A. i don't mind either, as i heard T.A. units are deployed for active duty.

Just wondering if my uni education meets the minimum requirements to apply as an officer (if that is possible?) ?

thanks in advance!

12. As stated previpously in the thread upper age for Regs is 33, for the TA its 43 (not 44)

You really can't comare over which is better, there are very different, the Regular army is a full time career, the TA is part time service, you need to decide what it is you want out of life.

13. Hi,
    This looks like an old thread but I was just wondering...
    What if you joined the TA at over 33 and then went on FTRS or something and then ended up fulltime with the regular group you were working with? Do you become a regular then? If so do you go through the whole application/selection/phaseI/II stuff again right from scratch or is some sort of transferring involved?

14. what I mean is, do they take your age into consideration in the same way here as if you were a fresh recruit or how does it work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.